1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For the 27 yard shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ohio Bob, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

OK you 27 yard shooters.....Please just 27 yard shooters.

Here it is, very simple.

This is a survey. I'll pass along the info when I compile it.

PM me if you would like a copy of the info at the end of the survey.

Information will be compiled at 100 postings of info.

Question......

IF you shoot new shells, what shell and load do you shoot??

How long have you been on the 27 yard line?

What is your average?

If you are a reloader.

What hull do you load?

What primer do you use?

What powder do you use? How many grains?

What wad do you use? What wad pressure do you use?

How many loadings on the hull you use? Do you have a maximum number?

What size shot do you load? Magnum or Chilled?

What is the shot charge weight?

What gun do you shoot? What choke? Any custom barrel work? Who?

Barrel length?

How long have you been at the 27 yard?

What is your average?

Any additional comments that you think are relevent?

Thank you ahead of time.

OB

2. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

I've been on the 27 yard line for nine years - yet not very active since 2004
    from handicap. Previous to that, I was 26-1/2 yards since 1983

Currently I run low 90s on average and have some 27 yard wins in CT shoots since 2007: a 97 during the August,2007 Pahquioque Rod & Gun Hat Shoot and a 95 at the Hartford Gun Club's Mike Byrne Memorial shoot in 2008.

My gun is a Remington 1100 - an old Trap model using a 1960s vintage 30" fixed full choke trap barrel - the version before the step rib.

Ammo - I've shot Remington Nitro 27s, Federal Papers, Winchester "Silver Bullet" Handicaps and my own reloads in the low 18 grain Red Dot range with all Remington components - RXP 12 wad and hard, high antimony shot - like West Coast or equivalent brand. 7-1/2 shot ; 1-1/8 oz.

During the handicap event at the hat shoot - the day I broke 97 I literally had one box of each in my bag and none of it mattered and I could not tell any difference among them except with the papers, they smelled different when fired.

I haven't been shooting a lot of registered targets in recent years.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How about you get there and then write your book.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Been on the 27 33+ years never refused a reduction.
    Avg from 87% to 90% Hdcp
    Reload yes
    Shells AA & STS
    Rio Primer
    800-X 22.5 - 23.5 grs. Used 18 Grs Green Dot for 25+years 16s and 27yd.
    Promo powder 18.5-19.5 grs.
    Windjammer Wad, Minimal wad pressure, just crimping pressure.
    Load them 6+ times
    Magnum Shot 7 1/2s
    1 1/8th oz
    Caesar Guerini 34" Bbl Full Choke Tube
    Ranger XL shooting glasses, clear lenses and dark plum, CMTs
    Hearing protectors- Muffs & Moulded Plugs

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

OB. Yu look for constants and there may be a few but even those are meaningless. One 95 average reloader will disprove 20 80s average STS super handicap users. If you look in your average book you'll see the vast majority of guys shooting from the 27 cannot hold their yardage with out refusing reduction. And as guys get older, shoot less, have vision changes thye falter. If you watch TS at all one common thread is that you can obtain optimal loads via relading if you experiment and pattern. If there is one thing yu can count on is that top shooters use a top flyte gun, and shoot it for a long time. If you look at Dave Kelly and his venerable MX3 that hosuld prove the point. But Bob Munson's lone 100 in the Grand Handicap should show you that he has shot his Perazzi for quite a wile. And I bet he will continue to do so rather than make a switch that has a learning curve. Get a real trap gun, learn to be a good reloader, and practice your yardage. the 27 awaits a shooter that practices handicap rather than mixing his changing impact points of singles handicap and doulbles. You can shoot those and have a good time, but if the 27 and a high average are your goal, shoot several times a week at your yardage prior to the weeknend shoot. And then do it again the following week.

6. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Nitro 27 7 1/2 is my load of choice. If I can't come across those, Federal 3 dram 7 1/2 or Federal Handicap 7 1/2

I've been there since 1996, only ever had one reduction in which I refused due to some vision problems which I since had corrected.

I usually average a high 92 to a mid 93.

I shoot an MX-3 special, with .030 choke.

7. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Wolfrum and mia,

Thank you for your input, but, you didn't answer the question.

OB

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bob, what works for one person may not for another, so picking the brains of 27-yarders may tell you nothing that is of value to you. If your goal is to learn how to shoot better handicap, take a couple of clinics. But since you asked:

I got my 27-yard pin in July of 2000 by breaking a 97 from 26.5 yards but I've never been a "good" handicap shooter, primarily because I just didn't shoot it much. Consequently, my best score from that yardage was a 92. The eye problem I developed in 2005 caused me to stop shooting registered targets altogether.

I reload and used Nitro-27 factory loads and then reloaded those hulls with 22.0 grains of PB powder, Remington TGT-12S wads, 1-1/8 ounce of #7-1/2 shot and STS primers. I use mostly hard shot with very little or no wad pressure. You didn't ask, but those loads chronograph just a hair over 1,200fps out of my gun.

The gun that got me to 27 yards was a Krieghoff Model 32 combo with a box-stock 34" Vandalia-ribbed top single barrel that had .027" of choke constriction. Presently, I shoot a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon II unsingle combo and when I do shoot some practice or league handicap targets, I use the 34" unsingle barrel that is stock except for a Wright's #8 choke.

But as I said before, all of this might be useless to you. Take a couple of clinics and shoot a lot of practice.

Ed

9. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Shooters,

I am not looking for a secret magic bullet here. I have an anal curiosity here and would like some information.

I have read many articles on different loads, but I want to know what people are actually using.

I have read the articles about what the "BIG DOGS" shoot, now I want to know what the masses (from the 27 yard line) shoot.

Thank you.

Ed. Thanks

OB

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been on the 27 since '92. I have been shooting 1oz. 8's or when I can get them, 1oz. 7 1/2's for about 20 years now.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

My best Handicap scores were shot with my own reloads AA hull and Green Dot powder for a 1200 ft/sec load. I have shot good scores with the factory Super Handicap shells but it doesn't take very long for the extra recoil to start getting to me and I find it difficult to stay in the gun.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

1 oz. #8's reloads 80% of the time. The rest of the time STS or AA's one oz. #8's. I stay in the gun better with the lighter loads. all about 1200fps.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

OK:

Shells- Any big three.

Average-90's

Reload at 1235- 1250 with hard 7.5 shot.

Gun, any proven target gun that fits and shoots sraight comfortably-adjusted to your poi and choked for caps. {currently CG combo).

Time on 27? long enough to know I can handle the yardage with somewhat moderate success.

Phil Kiner tape is a MUST HAVE.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I've been back and forth between the 26 and 27 yard line for the past 12 years, and am currently back on the 27 again. I average between the high 80"s to low 90"s most of the time, with a few 95, 96's thrown into the mix.

Gun: Perazzi DB-81,
    34" Wilkinson tuned barrel. .742 bore and choked to .707. (.035") Fixed
    choke. No porting. Forcing cones removed completely. Meadows industry
    sight blinder set up for left hand shooter. Chris Vendel small front
    bead.

Trigger: Precision Gold double release. Sets at 88oz's and releases at 25oz's.
    I prefer the older Precision triggers to the newer ones with the
    light weight hammers. Either way, I wouldn't shoot without one!

Stock: Custom circassian walnut stock with Greg Hissam adjustable comb, Jones
    pad adjuster, C&H mercury recoil unit in stock (16oz.) and capped by
    a Kick-eez #403 modified trap pad. Longer, narrow pistol grip for
    more comfort and better control of gun and trigger.

Loads: Remington Nitro 27 when shooting new. Prefer my own reloads. Remington
    STS or Nitro hull, Cheddite primer, 20.8gr. REX II (or same amount of
    Green Dot) , VERSALITE wad, 11/8oz MAGNUM HARD 71/2 shot. I use 20lbs of
    wad pressure, just because I always have. I usually reload my handicap
    hulls until I see the mouth starting to get black and burnt, then I
    use them for singles and doubles and drop them. I try to keep my
    handicap loads at 1225fps, +/-.

You would think, with all this going for me, I would be shooting against Dave Kelly, Big Leo, Ricky Marshall, Harlen, and the boys, wouldn't you???? LOL

Hope this is the information you were looking for, Bob.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

15. Shilo

Shilo TS Member

hey wolfram seeing your so good with your trap the guy ask a ? and you get all smart about it you so i guess you no nothing so go away

16. tractordoc

tractordoc TS Member

I shoot STS hulls till the crimp fails, loaded with a Winchester primer, 19.5 gr. Green Dot, Down Range wad, 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 chilled shot. I use minimal wad pressure. These chrono at 1200 fps. Been on 27 for most of 11 years and current avg. is 92.5. Got there with a Rem. 3200 and 32" barrels, shot a Beretta 682 34" for a few years and now have a Kreighof KX-5, 34". I use .035 choke and no barrel work.

I recommend watching different instruction tapes and take what you like from each. I especially recommend Phil Kiner's eye exercise tape.

Dean Walker

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What I do know about the 27 yard line Shilo is that getting there and being competitive there has alot more to do with the indian than it does with the arrow. Distilling a bunch of technical data from this limited venue does nothing to change that. So while you may think it is smart assed or whatever, the truth is you gotta live it to know it. If this weren't the truth then there would be only one kind of gun and one kind of ammo and everyone would shoot the same scores at every shoot because all the technical details would have been worked out long ago.

18. racer

racer TS Member

Wolfman, why are busting this guy? He wants to do a stats project on a pile of variables. Statistics can predict almost any aspect of your life, why worry about 27 yard shooters? Dan

19. cls

cls Member

New Federal Paper Handicaps (T-171-7.5).

cls

20. over/under

over/under Member

Wolfram if there were only one kinda gun and one kinda ammo, I think it would be safe to say the same people would be in the winners circle. 27 yardline can be a very humbling experience. Just when you think you have it all figured out the wheels can fall off faster than you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
trap shooting leads from the 27 yard line
27 yard handicap trap shooting

27 yard trap

cousin shots from 27 yard lline

how to shoot 27 yard trap

trap 27 yard

who is the oldest trap shooter to make it to the 27 yard line
why the 27 yard in trap