1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For Singles I shoot One Ounce Loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

What's your average? I certainly think everyone who is promoting light shells here on TS.com should supply that information routinely since if the loads are costing the poster targets, we need that information as well to decide if "It's for us."

A second question. Why in the world do you shoot the 1290 ones? Way more recoil than light 1 1/8 and about the same as heavy 1 1/8. It makes no sense whatever. You certainly don't need the speed, people are thumping you at every shoot with slower shells (and more or the same amount of shot) - so why are you using them?

A last question. Is there really a lite AA at 1290? I thought they were called handicap or something but since I'd never shoot even one, I haven't ever checked, I admit. The Remingtons are called Nitros; I'm pretty sure of that.

Neil

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Lumper I know is pulling our chain, but Mr. Hamman?? He can't be serious or can he? Fred

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Earl Hamman I think you are shooting the Winchester Lite Handicap load. It is not a load I am interested in shooting, but if it is the load you like, shoot it.

Pat Ireland

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

SO THERE, Neil!<;-)

5. $andbagger

$andbagger TS Member

They didn't like it a while back when I made a post about my 1-1/4 ounce loads either, but I'm still shooting them. I'd hate to think I'd be losing any targets by dropping back to 1-1/8 ounce. Some people complain about recoil, but I shoot my 50 BMG and 408 CheyTac nearly every day at 2000 yard targets, so what's a little recoil from a trap load? (Oh, and don't even tell me about the cost of lead. I throw almost 2 ounces at a time from my Big 50) If you ever want to see a sweet pattern, try 1-1/4 of 8s through a Baker .800 barrel with a .024 choke. This is a great 16 yard load, and through an 1100 Remington the recoil is really negligible.

Also, someone commented on my earlier post asking why not 1-3/8 or 1-1/2? I have no problem with these loads, but I've found the 1-1/4 ounce load to perform the best through my Baker barrel. Your results may vary.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I like 8's and a 15 ft. shot string......

Curt

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Oh come on Bob, he said "Lite" and left out the "Handicap" part. I see now that AA calls anything one-ounce "Lite" even if it kicks more than "Non-Lites."

Earl. I don't think one ounce is hurting your scores at all. It surely doesn't hurt Bob's. But I've got to say I'd be more impressed if some AA or AAA long-yardage shooter had written it, say Daro H.

In the early 90's I shot heavy 8's at singles since I still believed the "pattern widening" theory of fast shells you still see here. I'd already long realized that the shotgun writers didn't know what they were talking about, but it seemed like a reasonable assertion. It's wrong, but reasonable nonetheless.

So in 1993 I bought a some Extra-lite Federals for the first shot of doubles but they kicked more than my reloads so I stashed them on low a back shelf. I'd already determined they didn't work for me at singles, "too tight." They were costing me birds for sure. I knew it and could tell, no question about that at all.

A couple of weeks ago I was loading up for a marathon week in Texas (Metro) and included them as fall-back, emergency-only loads. Well, I ran low on singles loads and just had two hundred more anyway, so I dragged them out. Over the 13 years they'd gotten wet I guess, since the primers were weeping rust and general crud - a mixture of black, brown, and red all over the primer area in the bottom two rows of each box.

I broke 99 and 100. So not only was my "too tight" theory wrong, but how about that "confidence" stuff I read here all the time? Only the bottom two rows were bad, but every time I forced one of them into the chamber I thought "This'll never work" but they did though a couple were so slow you could watch the shot. The point is, you don't need 1290 at singles or short handicap or anywhere, probably. And my total lack of confidence in 80 of the shells didn't seem to hurt any either.

Neil

8. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

I shot a 97% average on 9100 targets with one ounce loads. I never felt I was giving anything up by shooting them. Not a remarkable average, but I don't need a release trigger because of recoil either. Gary L.

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

1 oz. is good back to the 27...7/8 is all that is necessary at the 16. Best Regards, Ed

10. BMC

BMC Member

Neil, I don't believe it is a matter of what is required to get the job done effectively as it is a matter of what the shooter prefers to shoot. We all know people who can shoot high 90s in singles and caps and they each shoot something different. Different speed, different shot weight, different powder, wad, factory load, etc.
    At a recent shoot I was on a squad for caps and we were shooting from the 23-24 yard line. We all were doing pretty good, I think we each were down a couple of targets before we got the last house. We then all five ran the last house. That in itself isn't anything special. But one thing that stuck with me was that all five of us were shooting quite different load configurations. One friend was using hand loaded 1 oz shells that he said were under 1100fps because of a shoulder injury. They barely made a "bang" they were so light. I swear that sometimes I looked like I could clearly see the shot string if standing at the right angle. I was using my same old 1290 1oz loads, two others were using 1-1/8 reloads that were pretty fast and the other guy using Nitros. Everyone broke targets good and it was apparent to me at the end that it doesn't matter what speed or weight a person uses, as long as they enjoy using it and do well with what they like to shoot.
    For me personally I prefer the 1290 1oz for several reasons. One is that I use them for all the trap disciplines. One shell all of the time. They have little recoil as compared to most 1-1/8oz loads I've shot. I don't doubt that if I spent the time to adjust to a slower shell that I could shoot them as good as I do my 1oz faster shells. I bet I could even feel comfortable with a 7/8oz shell at a medium speed if given enough time to grow comfortable with them.
    I've used my son's 1200 and 1175 1-1/8oz loads a while back and I'll be damned if I didn't miss the first eight targets in a row. Why? Because I am not comfortable with them. But given enough time I know for a fact it wouldn't be an issue at all.
    For me it largely is a cost factor too. I can buy the Federal and Estate 1oz flats far cheaper than any other. That plays a role in the "comfort" factor of what shell a person shoots.
    I've never shot 100 straight. I've shot many 99s, but never a 100. You will never hear me blame it on the shell because I usually know what my mistake was and it had nothing to do with the shell I was using. I feel that brainfarts account for more lost targets than using what can be perceived as an insufficient shell.

11. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Well Neil, I dont think there was but 1 or 2 people that actually gave there averages for 1 ounce loads.

I have been shooting 1 ounce loads on singles and BOTH shots for doubles for about 10 years now. Last year 98.65% on 16s and 96.60% on doubles. My 16s have been the same for several years 98+ average and doubles from 94 and up. All reploads, winchester hull, 17.3 of clays or promo, winchester wad and primer and 8 shot.

Last year i changed from 3dram 7 1/2 on handicap to a factory 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2, mostly estates, winchester super target or gun clubs. (from the 27). My averages actually went up (92.18%) by going to the lighter shell on caps, plus less recoil.

And just incase you are wondering.... I shoot an old beat up 1100, factory barrel (30inch full choke for everthing).

Dennis Whitlock

12. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

At my age, I only wish I could shoot 1 ounce loads at 1200 fps.

13. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I shoot Win. AA 1oz 8's....very low recoil, love 'em.....and my average is 93% and change which is more likely due to the fact I don't get to shoot alot of targets due to my bad knees and the nearest trap club is 60 miles away.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I shoot 1 ounce loads at about 1200 fps for 16 yards.

2007 average - 94.63
    2006 average - 95.75

15. deking00

deking00 Member

I shoot 1 ounce of 8 1/2's in a Federal Paper Hull, Federal 209a Primer, Green Duster Wad, and 19.4 Grains of Green Dot. An email reply from Duster Wads said it was equal to the 1,180 fps (2-3/4-1) factory load. My average last target year was 98.37 and current target year is 98.60. It works for me. David King

16. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Neil.... I shoot 1 oz. 8 1/2 for singles.My average for this year (08) is 99.00 for 1200 targets.

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What's your average? I certainly think everyone who is promoting light shells here on TS.com should supply that information routinely since if the loads are costing the poster targets, we need that information as well to decide if "It's for us."

Good question. Thank you to those that volenteered an answer.

Perhaps a better question to those using 1 ounce. Have you lost an important shoot by one bird?

18. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I doubt anyone shoots a release because of recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.