1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? For Remington 1100/1187 Experts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jm1079, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

My 1100 is not releasing the shell in the magazine for the second shot and I can't figure out why. The shell remains inside the magazine. May I ask for some help? Thanks. JM

2. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Check the feed latch, there is a tip of that latch that is prone to breakage will not allow the shell to feed out of the magazine. In the 1100 owners manual blow up schematic page 20 it is part number 43. The tip of the latch fits into the magazine. Part is not expensive but tricky to install correctly without a staking tool. Dave

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The feed latch is a little finger that holds the shell in the magazine and is supposed to move over a bit whan the bolt goes back.

It is a long piece of spring steel with a hook on the end that lives in a flat groove inside the receiver on the left side.

You should be able to cycle the bolt and observe it operating. Hold the gun upside down and pull the bolt all the way back.

If the loads are weak or the gas ports plugged, the bolt will not come back all the way which makes a feeding problem.

Good luck

HM

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

If the bolt is coming all the way back and locking open, it is often a broken action bar. Easy to replace, but way too expensive.

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Did or do any of the 1100's come with 32" barrels, or extra heavy barrels for Trap?

6. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Years ago, Remington made a 34 inch Trap barrel. That's about it. There were some 32 and 34 inch duck/geese barrels too with flat ribs.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I still have one of those 34" trap barrels. As I remember from about 1972. I probably put no more than 50 shells through the barrel. I could be talked into parting with it. Offers??

Thanks, Marc

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Have you taken a GOOD look at the action bars? On the right hand side (as the gun is shoulder mounted) about an inch or so behind where the action bar connects to the large cylinder, there is a small angled raised extension. This is what is supposed to trip the release to let a shell out of the magazine and on to the carrier.

If this little angle is worn or broken, the shell will not be released. If you have a dummy round or two, put it into the magazine and then grip the gas cylinder and give it a slight twist to more fully engage the release. If the shell pops out onto the carrier, then repeat the process but twisting the bar away from the release,. If the shell does not release, then you could very well have a worn bar. Obviously a cracked or bent action bar can cause the same type of problem.

If you have a good micro weld shop around, you can have them tack on a small, maybe .06 inch or a bit more, hard chrome weld on the extension and then CAREFULLY shape it with a Dremel tool or hard file to maintain the same angle but with a bit more height. This could give you a bit more use. Eventually you can figure on the bar breaking at the weld point because of welding induced heat stress but it might last for a year or two. At least mine lasted for about two years.

It does not take much height to make the difference. My problem first showed up when the weather got cold (~20 dg.) but on the warm days it would, usually, function ok. I finally found the problem by substituting the action bars from my 11-87. That confirmed the problem was in the bar. Then comparing the two showed the problem area.

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Does the bolt lock back after the first shot leaving the next round in the magazine? Very common problem on 1100's and usually easy to fix.

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Problem solved by replacing the feed latch. Thanks to all of you for your help. JM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

welding 1187 action bar

what type of shot is most prone to action bar breakage