1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For Release Trigger Users!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Okay, you just bought a new gun (or used) and you want to put in a release trigger.

Do you go with Allem's new roller system release knowing that there is at least a 3 week turn around because they are so busy, or do you go with someone else who could maybe do it in a week........and who would that be and why.

I would like to know because that is what I am facing right now and I'm interested in your responses.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Hauxfan!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well i can't speak for Allems as i haven't used them although they have quite a good reputation. I wanted the Roller release but decided the added money over a conventional release was not necessary for me. I went Phil Crenwelge of Phillips Gunsmithing and couldn't be happier. The trigger was better than expected and had it back in less than a week and a half total including shipping. He was easy to get ahold of and easy to talk to. He explained the trigger well and comes to shoots near me so i can have it serviced. If and when i need trigger work done my decision is already made based on my first experiance with Phil. There is a reason why so many recommend him. Thats my opinion and 2 cents anyway.--Matt

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I would offer Allem a bonus to get yours done in a week. It might cost you an extra one to two hundred, but so what. If you don't you'll have something that
    wasn't what you wanted. That's not unethical, companies do it all the time.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Haux:I have had Phil Crenwelge convert release triggers on my MT-6 Perazzi and my SX-1 trap. He did an outstanding job at a reasonable price. I also had "Dean" from Skeets Gun Shop convert my Beretta 682. I am extremely satisfied with both of these gunsmiths. You can't go wrong with either one. Ed

5. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

I looked at going with the roller release but could not see how it could be worth the difference in cost. I have a couple of Phillip's and they work great for me. When I need something now I just call Phillip's tell him want I need and my time frame. Tom

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Phil, he is working on my second release trigger now & I expect it to perform just as well as the first one I had done....fast & reasonable service.

7. B-Rod

B-Rod Member

I paid for the new Allen Roller release and it is well worth the three week waiting period.
    My vote is for Allen (IMO). Bill Rod

8. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Don't you realize how dangerous a release trigger can be? Jimmy Borum

9. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

What brand of gun? Is a factory release an option? If not, definately Allems.

10. grntitan

What is a Allen Roller release?

What is the noticeable difference between a Phillips installed Release Trigger and an Allems Roller release? How does it make it a difference in the guns performance or is it simply bragging rights that you have a roller? Can someone that has one explain?

11. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I recommend Kerry Allor. A couple of years ago I had Kerry remove all parts that Allem had installed this was the release triggers on my K 80 trap special, expensive but I will only settle for the best. I just had too many problems with the Allem Kreighoff trigger design, the trigger would move back again after being set while chasing a target. Not ever time either, but it would sure mess with your mind. This was before his roller release.

Phil C. Also does excellent work.

Tom Strunk

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

With the roller release the lock time can be adjusted by the size of the roller. Speed it up or slow it down. I'm not sure that there are too many of us that can actually phathom the speed change. It's a good design. I have a factory Kolar release/pull and have no plans to change.

13. grntitan

Thanks daddiooo. I doubt i could tell a lock time difference but there is no arguement that a roller has to be better for wear and tear.

14. logndog

logndog TS Member

It would seem to me that Allems has a waiting period for a reason! There trigger is in high demand. A release is one thing that I want to be perfect, anything else is going to lead to bad problems down the road. I shot close to twenty thousand rounds through the last allem I had, and the poundage ( set and release) was the exact same the day I sold it as the day I got it from them.

15. grntitan

I highly doubt Allems is the only one making a high quality release that will last thru thousands and thousands of rounds. Nobody questions Allems quality but they are not the only dog in the pen.

16. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

If You Want A Good Release That Will Work For Years & Years And Deal With VERY NICE People Then Use Phillip Or Dean At "Skeet's. These Two Guys Have NEVER Had The "Attitude" That Their Triggers Are The Only Ones To Use And You Will Have To Wait Your "Turn". Less Money, As Good Of Workmanship And "NO ATTITUDE" Just Saying!!!!! As One Of TS's "Good Guys" Said ALLEM Is NOT The Only Dog In The Pen. If I Am Going To Spend My Money With Someone "They" Should At Least Be Friendly. Joe W.

17. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

Allem, three weeks, ha, try six weeks right now. worth it, yes. I offered to pay double to get it sooner, no dice! people who do great work and you can't pay them off, sounds like a good place. are rollers worth the extra cost? to me, yes. try them and you'll never go back. Jack

18. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Three weeks or six weeks, so what? This is something you are going to have for a long time. Why are you in such a hurry?

19. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Save your money and spend it on practice. Being able to shoot without a crutch is where the braggin rights are.....not in your over priced gadget.

There is no substitute for practice.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Here's a feature of Allem's Roller Release that no other release trigger can offer. Not only can you - yes, YOU - change the speed of the release by swapping out the roller for a smaller (faster) one or a larger (slower) one, you - yes, YOU - can convert the trigger(s) back to pull by simply removing the roller(s). And the pull triggers will be the same pull triggers you had before, not horrible ones commonly found after the sears are altered to function as a good release trigger.

NOW does the Roller Release sound like it might be worth the wait and extra money? After all, if customers like Vern and I weren't telling our shooting friends about our triggers and if our shooting friends weren't impressed with the triggers when we let them try them, Allem's wouldn't be backed up for three or six weeks, would they?

Yes, other gunsmiths make good releases. I've had Timney releases, Allem releases and Krieghoff releases and my current Allem Roller Releases are the crispest, smoothest and most consistent of them all. And when I'm no longer shooting and my son starts using my gun, it's nice to know he can change it back to nice pull triggers with a screwdriver. I gave him one of my Krieghoffs about ten years ago and it cost $450 to have the triggers made back into decent pull triggers for him.

You get what you pay for.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gunsmiths in ohio that do release triggers

gunsmiths who make release triggers