1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

For PW owners

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

An Experience I had that I wanted to share so it may save someone some time and grief. I have a P2000 Platinum loader that is 11 years old but has only loaded maybe 20,000 shells. I spent about 30 minutes on the phone a few years ago with Whiz and ever since have had a pretty good understanding of how it works and what to look for when I have a problem. I load mostly Federal papers and buy a large quantity so I usually load them as once fired. It so happens I ran out so had to go to my box of 2000 once loaded! All of a sudden ( which turned out to be a coincidence) I started getting shells that hung up atr the wad insertion point ( station 4) They would tear on one side and crush causing me to have to remove the shell, shut off the shot etc. I struggled with it for a while and then checked the wad fingers ( number one wad insertion problem) and they were all in place. Finally I decided to take apart the wad guide assy thinking it would not be the problem because the fingers are ok and it seemed to still have spring pressure. What I found was the spring had overlapped itself and caused it to malfunction at which time the hull would be crushed. Hope this helps someone down the road
  2. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Active Member

The key element here is the wad has to grab the guide and push it down so the fingers fit inside the shell mouth. If the wad just slides threw it will catch on the mouth lip and fold it in or the wad will go in cocked which caused a flat sound when fired if you shoot it (don't ask how I know) Love my PW's once you load a couple hundred thousand you will get a real feel for the feel and sound and know just what is going on.
  3. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi Part s& Repair - P/W dealer Staff Member

Occasionally, the large plastic retainer held in place with the two small Allenhead tapered screws will wear, letting the coil spring slip down between the aluminum housing and the plastic.
  4. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Member

Be sure to check that the wad assembly has not worked loose. Stick your finger up against the wad guide and with the other hand try to twist the top cone clockwise. If it is loose that will probably solve the issue. The other thing that I did was to purchase and case mouth conditiing cone from Whiz. this cone attaches to the primer punch and opens the mouth of the case just enough to prevent the edge of the wad from catching the edge of the hull. (works great!)

Hope this helps,

JMAC
  5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Thx whiz, if it happens again I will know that I need that piece
  6. Raymond D. Stromecki

Raymond D. Stromecki Member

A 900 question for Whiz: Once in a while my 900 fails to index. If I push the handle up, quite hard, it will then index. What needs to be adjusted? Cray
  7. grunt

grunt Active Member

8. whiz white

4-12-12 - "Fails to index?" Do you mean it won't index at all, or it partially indexes, or it indexes, but not that lst little bit, or that last little bit?

Boy, there are lots of scenarios here with each possibility listed above.

I'd say that if you have to push the handle back to get it to index that last little bit, then there are a several things to look at.

First, assuming that the Shell Seating Post is not too high, shoving the newly inserted hull into the die at Station 1 too far up into the die, and assuming that the Primer Seating Assembly is not set too high, causing the seating post to drag, and you are not using Nobel Sport primers, then <i>some</i> places to look are:

1. Check the indexing collar that rides in the center shaft. If it is worn, and they wear out, then you won't get full indexing.

2. Not very normal, but the stub shaft located on the base of the reloader at about 11:00 could be too high. That actually is what stops the crosshead's downward motion. If it is too high, you can't get the crosshead down far enough to get the machine to reach bottom (the end of the center shaft's dog-leg in the above-mentioned collar) to cause full indexing.

4. The turrent could be out of time and there are ways to check that - see my website for that info.

3. Couple other things, but I don't want to continue until you specifficaly spell out what it is EXACTLY not doing, after checking the above.

WW

Since I have heard back from you, if you are still having the problem, a call would be easier for me to discuss... 4-14-12
  9. Raymond D. Stromecki

Whiz: Thank you for your reply. I've been in and out of town the last couple of weeks. I'll also be out of town next week. When I get back I'll go through your recommendations and see if I can solve my problem.

It won't index at all until I push (slam) the handle up and then it will index.
    It will then index many times and then all of sudden it won't!

I'll let you know how I make out. Cray
  10. whiz white

Gotta be in the center shaft. The collar is broken/worn, or even up on top, if the Rack Gear is not sliding easily, it could add to the problem,.

WW
  11. Raymond D. Stromecki

When I get back next week, I'll let you know how I'm doing with the problem. Cray
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.