1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for Perazzi guys - MX 10 Rib Broke - Need Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pullbangloss, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

Well a piece of the rib on my MX-10 busted today. Was shooting along, looked down, and noticed it was gone. Luckily my dad found it (I don't know how!)

Couple questions....

1) Any problems shooting this as is?

2) Can this be welded back? JB Weld?

3) If it needs repaired by a gunsmith who can give me the fastest turn around? I'm worried Giacomo can't get it back quick.

As you will see in the pic, the broken piece has a witness mark or rub on it. Curious as to how much pressure is really put on this area.

It's prime shooting time and I need this fixed quick as I have no back up.

Thanks in advance guys.

Matt Ski

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

Matt

Buy a K-gun.

hook

3. Smiley

Smiley Member

The rib is an alloy composite so any gunsmith should be able to weld it as it only holds the notch adjustment in place.
    Smiley

4. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Matt,
    I have seen this happen to several Perazzi guns, the newer guns have a radius slot for the sliding piece that prevents this.

First off, no problem shooting the gun like this. The sliding piece has a round part that rides on a spring in a hole back in the rib. It is not going to fall off or move from the notch you have it in.

The rib is aluminum, it is possible to weld it, but there is not much material there to weld to. I think the best fix is to have an aluminum piece made (like the one that broke off), but about an inch longer. Machine a recess in the bottom of the rib and drill and tap a couple of small screws to hold the new piece in place. Put some bluing on the aluminum piece and you are all set.

Don

5. pullbangloss

Thanks for the info guys.

Hook,
    Perazzis break once in a while but unlike the K guns they never blow up.

Matt Ski

6. CANTWIN

CANTWIN Member

Matt

Never is a long time.

hook

7. Cody4gold

Cody4gold Active Member

Matt do you need me to bring a back up gun for you to Bloomingdale i have a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel i can bring ...let me know ..Doug

8. pullbangloss

Doug,

I'm good thanks.

Matt Ski

9. MRMOKI

MRMOKI Member

I had this exact same problem two years ago. It started just as yours has with the end nearest the stock failing followed by the other end failing, but after about 5000 more rounds the front top broke off taking the front bead with it in the middle of an ATA shoot. I tried to finish the round with the bead missing but dropped several targets. The fix is to get a new rib, which I did from Perazzi at the Grand that year. $600 as I recall. I was a little upset when Perazzi said it was my fault because I had a ported barrel. Reality is that, as noted above, Perazzi redesigned the rib to get rid of the stress points of the original design. I considered some of the ideas of making a repair as discussed above as well, but concluded those were not permanent fixes that I could rely upon. I suspect there has been many of these failures and more to come on the MX10 combos with the original rib design. The redesigned rib seems fine, I have put about 20,000 rounds through since.

Jim Lemons

10. pullbangloss

Thanks for the info Jim.

Matt Ski

11. pullbangloss

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Doug Braker has an idea on how to fix the rib without cementing the rib into permanent position. His number is 218-947-3600. Depends on how much metal there is to work with on the bottom of the rib and space between rib and bbl

13. leftLjutic

leftLjutic TS Member

matt ski
    If you use bubble yum(pink) slightly chewed instead of loctite metal epoxy rated for high temp, vibration, it should hold the little bugger in place.

14. jbshep

jbshep Member

Send to Dan at Giacomo. He s the best.

15. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Bad design by Perazzi they should fix it at no charge would never happen with Kolar.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

First one I've ever seen broken.

17. pullbangloss

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm sending it out to Doug on Monday.

Matt Ski

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.