1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? For Neil Winston or Shooting Coach ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MDJ67, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

Neil,

You post alot of reloading data. Are the Red AA hulls the same as the Gray Super Handicap AA's. I loaded some Gray AA with the Super Handicap powder and AA wads , AA primers. I finished a box with Red AA's. When I shot them the Red ones seemed slower and softer could that be true? I thought they were same hull just different color. I would not think they were different but they were mixed up and with out looking I could tell. My imagination ? I hope so.

Thanks

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

MDJ67,

I would PM Shooting Coach for nearly 50 years of reloading experience.

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I think it's your imagination. Maybe you were expecting some difference and thought it occurred. I've never found a bit of difference between the two either at the range or in the lab.

MK

4. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

Ahhhh...the same hull but a differint color and color should not change reloading specs.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

?? For Neil Winston

Yes, they are the same hulls.

Pat Ireland

6. fishguts

fishguts Member

I load the grey ones with 20.5grs. AA S/HDCP, downrange XL-1 wad (neon green), 1 1/8th. of 7.5's...load great, nice and tight shell that explodes targets. A few days ago I loaded the same load in the red AA hulls, I had sunken crimps on some, others had a hole in the center that was large enough to shake the shot out of sometimes. Supposed to be the same hull but different colors. I didn't get the same results with the red. My opinion is that each hull is produced on it's own dedicated equipment and there are differences. It also seems to me that the plastic composition is different on each color, I also have had red AA's that were definately thicker.

Wayne

7. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"It's suprising how many guys are named Neil Winston or Shooting Coach?"</I></blockquote>

...and now that apparently includes you, too.

MK

8. Unknown1

According to Winchester, the only difference is the colorant and whatever effect that has. ( They called me about a hull with a separated base wad I once sent to them and I had the chance to ask.)

MK

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm the real Neal Winstun and I say they are the same.

10. fishguts

fishguts Member

Having worked 20 years with plastics, making plastic oil bottles, I know one thing for sure, the color pellets added to the plastic mix of virgin pellets and re-grind(used plastic) had an impact on the entire process.

Wayne

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There could be several issues. The effect of the color pellets, the amount of recycled plastic, and the fact that the gray hulls are subjected to a heavier initial load from the factory.

It does seem that I have had red HS AA hulls that felt downright flimsy.

I typically load them the same once, and toss them. With that said, I often give boxes of new AA's I have accumulated to shooters who prefer them. I prefer Gun Club and STS/Nitro, the Fed promo and GM. I will also load Eurotrash hulls in a New York second.

Oh, for the days of old style AA hulls (sigh).

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm not either of those guys but like fishguts, I once worked in the plastics molding industry.

There are many additives that will alter polyethylene. There are also many melt factors or qualities, of polyethylene that effect the resiliency of the finished part. Winchester hulls are made from polyethylene. In the case of colorants, which are also made from polyethylene, they can alter the final resilience and flexibility of the final product as well.

No colorant is best. Most blues don't change the quality much. Reds either. Black colorant, which is tinted with carbon black, will make the hull more brittle. The greater the carbon black the worse. I don't know if carbon black is present in the Winchester Super Handicap shotshells.

Regardless, I cannot imagine that you could tell the difference in ballistic performance. They should perform interchangeably. Mix them up in a box and don't look at them while shooting and see if you can really tell the difference. I think you'll see that most of the difference will be between your ears. Heha.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Neil is shooting. (and well too, I might add)

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Good for him.

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

OK good for Neil but is he shooting red or gray hulls ?? Boxers or briefs ? boy its a slow day wish I was shooting but I'll have to wait my thong is in the laundry just can't shoot well with out proper support.

16. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Perhaps you had some of the old grey AA hulls.

They are a different animal from the current two piece hull that Winchester is using.

ed.

17. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

MIA,

I'm glad to hear that Neil is shooting well. It just means that he's stopped trying to "over" calculate every shot and just break the bird!

Everybody just needs to let him shoot...one bird at a time.

TNCoach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.