1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For Labrador Owners Only! Cat People keep out

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed what I and a few friends have. I've had two Black labs a Chocolate and I now own a Yellow. The Black labs and the current yellow seem to have a higher energy level and greater stamina when hunting. This seems to be the case with local frinds dogs as well as my own. Not to say they chocolates are lazy or poor hunting companions it's just we've noticed a makred difference in them when compared to the blacks or yellows in the field. Any one eles found this?

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

my buddy has a chocolate female about 2 years old, and it's the most active lab I've ever hunted with.

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

Truely a man's best friend...

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You could be called a racist. LOL

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I'll bet my Persian cat can whup your Lab!!!!!

6. k80guy

k80guy Member

For years I never understood how lab owners got so attached to their dogs. Then 2 years ago I adopted a yellow from a shelter and now I get it. I have had several dogs over the years, but not like this one. Labs are truely special. We absolutely adore him and he has enriched our lives. I would never have any other breed but a lab again.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Who ever came up with the expression 'man's best friend is a dog' was thinking specifically of the labrador.

Here is a question to the other lab owners, does your lab smile at you when you come home? I'm talking about a that goofy showing of the front teeth accompanied by a weird twisting of the ears. It is very much a smile and if you have seen it you know what I'm refering to.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I don't know about smiling as mine would just about knock me down when I got home. A 100 lb lab sure does pack a wallup.

I often asked my ex-wife why she wasn't nearly as happy to see me in the evening as my dog was. Lol.

ss

9. alant

alant TS Supporters TS Supporters

A real bird dog!

10. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

My yellow lab is smarter than your honor student.

11. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

My old girl (11yo black) greets everyone with a smile. Great dog and hope she out lives me, don't think I'll be able to handle the pain.

12. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

My Nell(black)smiled all the time.....she would kind of tilt her head as she wagged her whole body,and would give you a big old smile.Man I miss her......
    Enjoy them while you can,they can teach you so very much.....labs are mans best friend.
    D.P.Reynolds

13. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

labs are great! who cares what color. My two guys are going on 14yrs old and are totally babied. But they deserve it. puablo

14. Landshark

Landshark Member

Labradors...anything else is just a dog.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I love the shot of your fishing dog, Slugbug. I believe he (she?) is really watching the pole. My first yellow dog just loved going fishing and would very paitently sit on the bank and watch my fishing pole for signs of a bite. He generally knew when a fish was nibbling before I did. The tip off was his big flag like tail would start beating the ground. We shared quite a few catfish shore lunches together. Truly a best friend.

16. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Bruce: I have had Labs for 35+ years and the color didn't make the dog's energetic.Anyone that has a slow lazy dog is just like the dog.You have to keep them in shape and give them and yourself a good workout on a daily basis.
    Paublo: Your old dog has almost as much gray as mine!!She's going on 11 but her replacement is 2 years old.

17. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Bob's got your fishing dog beat...<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    Anyone ever heard of a "Silver Lab"? This is my brothers new addition Scooby<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>I think it just depends on the dog, I've had yellow and chocolate labs and some were lazy and others were always excited, regardless of color. Josh

18. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Some great pics here. My boy is a yellow Lab/Golden Retriever cross and he's the most special dog who has ever owned me. Very smart, energetic, and yeah, he smiles too.

19. checker

checker Member

I have owned 3 Labs in my life.....one of each color. Now for the Science.....Brown lab pecularities are just normal bell curve, no more no less than other breeds.....What are #'s of each color?? Fewer browns? I suspect. What happens to the problem Black Lab?..... Stipid, Agressive, Stuborn-can't train, no interest in hunting, whatever. Think about it...put down maybe?? Numbers of Brown Labs are few, so ALL are kept no matter what problem is (so number of problem dogs seems higher)and remember Brown and Yellow are recessive colors to the dominant Black color.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. BudLight

BudLight Member

My 22 month old lab, Frankie. She loves the water and to train. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.