1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for high poi shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shannon391, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I shoot the target on the quick side, I can see the target clearly as it leaves the house and drive the gun fast into it.

I had no idea how flat I have been shooting with the 90T and the 3200 until I picked up a new combo and set it to shoot 100%. I can't get used to that high of a gun, How do you guys do it? I feel like i have to be three foot under the target to break it.

I am AA-27 but would like to learn the higher poi as most the top shooters seem to advocate it, and most misses are under or behind.

I think it would take a lot of work to reprogram my style of shooting.

Anyone go though this transition?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I shoot the same way you do, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. HMB

3. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I have a ljutic that shoots 130%. I have had a problem with lifting my head ever since I started shooting. I figured out that I naturally wanted to see the target break and so I continued playing around with different guns gradually increasing the poi with every gun. until I came across this ljutic. with a higher poi gun it seems like you dont have to move it as far to break the target. I hold the gun on the back of the trap house and shoot extremely fast just like you do. you should try adding weight to your gun, start your gun lower on the trap house, or force yourself to slow down.

P.S. I love to watch others try to shoot my gun. they all tend to shoot 3 feet over the target:)
    hope I could help. aj ansley

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I too shoot a 120% gun. The center of the pattern is 22 inches higher than the bead at 40 yards. I have found the higher impact point is simpler for me with the preponderance of high set targets these days. (My doubles gun shoots 90/10 in both barrels too.)

There are a few things I must do in order to shoot this POI successfully:

• NEVER move the gun until the target has passed the horizontal plane of the bead. Wait until its over the barrel to move. Failure to do so leads to shooting over the bird by moving to quickly or under the bird when you have to slow down when you realize you are over the top! letting the bird pass the barrel allows you to accelerate the gun to the target.

• Hold points (Particularly how high to hold.) become more critical... so, being observant of the targets beforehand can be very useful. Adjust your hold point to give you about your usual upward barrel movement. i.e. If the targets are high hold a higher conversely if they are low hold lower. If they are all over...well just hold on and have fun!

• Look points are just as important. Try not to focus below the gun, look out past the gun and let your peripheral vision pick up the flash of the emerging target. Let the target fly into your focus rather than trying to play catch-up with a flying target. On post 1 and 2 shift your field of vision to the left a bit. Post 3 in the center and 4 and 5 shift to the right a bit. Keep your eyes still until the target emerges. Quiet eyes will perform better...

• If your gun is set up properly you don't get the impression of shooting under or "floating the target". You will simply go to the bottom of the target and pull through and fire. It's a lot of fun when it works.

• Buy Phil Kiner's and Harlan Campbell's videos. They both offer a load of good information on shooting techniques. Leo, Phil and Harlan all put on excellent clinics and I recommend you check them out. It's money well spent, these guys provide a wealth of knowledge for their students.

Break em all.

Bob Schultz

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I set my rib/comb to shoot 90/10. I came up with that for me because that was what I needed to get the gun to shoot where I look. Now if 60/40 would have worked for me than I would have set it up that way. SO it's all in getting your gun to shoot where you look.I tried all different settings to come up with the 90/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.