1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for frugal reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by laura!, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

My reloading room had gotten to be quite a mess, so I finally decided to do the big clean. It really bothered me to just vacuum up all that shot, so when I was finished I cut open the vacuum bag and poured the contents out into a container. After pulling out dog hair, stink bugs and 2 live primers (whew, glad THAT didn't cost me a vacuum), I have 2 lbs of shot, powder and dust. I was thinking about spreading it out on a fine metal screen and lighting it on fire to burn off the powder and, hopefully, the dust. Has anyone tried this? Or what about sticking a fan under the screen to blow the gun powder away? Any ideas?

2. dustmaker

dustmaker Member

go outside on a breezy day and pour it back and forth between two buckets until clean.

3. single stack

single stack Member

Almost any kitchen screen sieve can separate shot from dust and powder.

Buy one at the dollar store or use the one in the kitchen and buy a new and
    better one to replace the old one. Dump the dust and powder on the plants outside.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Why so messy?? ha ha

I sweep my floor first, once its in a pile then I turn on the vac, hold it high enough to suck up the bigger stuff, Shot is heavy and not needed to be put in a vac.

Then I sweep up remaining into a dust pan and start separating it from there.

I have a Ice cube tray from a ice maker out of a refrigerator, has ribs in the bottom, move it around like panning for gold(lead is now!) to get the remaining dirt and dust bunny's out.

Presto! job done.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Is it possible a spark from the vacum touch off the powder---I often think about that---George

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I used to just stick a match to it on my concrete floor. Works for me.

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Lets work a trade... i will sift your shot... you clean my loading room HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Deal??

WesleyB

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have a 1 gallon Shop Vac in my loading area that is used ONLY for shot spills. Once I think I have collected enough stray pellets it's a simple matter to open the vac, pour the collected shot into a strainer to remove any stray powder that has been collected and pour the shot right back into the press.

Keller

9. laura!

laura! Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

T7731, throw almost 2 lbs of shot away?

Wesley, bwahahaha!

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Using a five gallon plastic bucket, dump the stuff in it, then pour it back into another at a very shallow angle. The shot rolls out of the bucket with a slight incline and leaves the dirt, powder and dust in the bottom of the bucket.

Dump the dust, dirt powder, and pour the second bucket back into the first, again at just enough of an angle the shot rolls out, leaving the dust and dirt behind. Repeat a couple of times.

Rolling the bucket left and right while pouring, speeds up the process.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've tried several ways...

First, I built a shot vacuum (see photos) - the idea is that the small pick up hose pulls the shot into the bucket along with everything else and with the bent pipes creates a venturi effect, then the larger outlet hose pulls the lighter material out. You are left with heavy items only (lead, primers, metal, sand/rock).

Next I use Rick's idea of the two buckets, but I add a fan - blowing across the falling items - by adjusting the velocity and how you pour you can blow most crud away.

Another method uses about a six foot length of smooth walled rigid pipe the can be flexed into a large loop (think black PVC water pipe).

Dump the shot/dirt mix into the pipe (about one pound at a time). With both openings UP hook up a vacuum and start sucking out the stuff - the lead is heavy enough that it stays at the botom of the loop - pretty much everything else is sucked out
    hslds_2008_030354.jpg

hslds_2008_030355.jpg

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've employed the tilted tin tray and card technique that I learned back in the early 1970s to address your situation.

It seems that this trick not only works for separating seeds from "foliage", it also will separate your Pb spillage from the chaff. Of course the singular difference is the relative positions of the payloads once complete.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could plant our spilt Pb and it would produce Pb-bearing buds?

L,

Me

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

What are you doing to get 2 pounds of shot on your floor? I'm a pretty messy guy and when I clean up I get maybe a couple ounces. Bill

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Heck what you picked up off the floor is still cleaner than reclaimed!

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

+1 for the album jacket method. Never cleaned 2 pounds before though :)

16. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Mounting your loader on a cheap dollar store metal pan can make any spills easier to contain.

rlc323_2008_030348.jpg

The Queen uses the same room that I reload in as a workout area. If she steps on a primer (heaven forbid) or any loose shot, there is hell to pay!

17. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That explains why that is showroom clean! LOL

18. Beni

Beni Member

Just did the same thing witheneough shot to fiil a 1 lb coffee can . Had a big floor fan and slowly poured shot in front of the fan into bucket only took twice and was like brand new good luck beni

19. laura!

laura! Member

HSLDS, Wow, very cool contraption!

Bill, just normal reloading and, well, perhaps I'm not the best little home maker...I mean what would you rather do, clean or shoot?

Beni, a coffee can? I think I'll try your method for the final cleanup. I have a bird feeder tray that has a fine screen bottom that I used to screen out 324 grains of dust & powder.

Guy, perhaps you could demonstrate ;-)

20. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Get a large terry cloth bath towel and pour mixture onto it. roll the mixture around on the towel with your hand, you can work the shot away from the junk and dump the junk. It is very easy and works very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.