1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for firearms dealers that visit here

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kevin Fleming, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Question for you dealers -

Is there any state in which I can purchase a firearm out of state and have it shipped directly to my house? (Exclude purchases from CMP)

and if you know,

Is there any state in which I can purchase a firearm from an individual out of state and (legally) have it shipped directly to my house?

I have read the FFLs to the best of my abilities and think the answer to both of these questions is NO.

thanks for your responses

K

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Answer to both questions is NO.

3. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

I'm a retired FFL - thinking about re-activating it to give people in my small town a place to do transfers, as there no longer any FFL's or stores that handle firearms in my small town.

To answer your question - no private person can ship over state lines to another private person. This is Federal law. In state is different right now, but will change with the new laws coming soon.

If you send a gun out for repair (like back to Taurus under lifetime warrenty) - it can be shipped straight back to you - many people do not know this part of the law.

4. Kevin Fleming

Thanks for confirming. I have tried to explain to some that there is no "internet loophole" as the media is shouting and like to be dead certain of what I state.

K

5. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

I read the Senate bill. It could be much worse, still won't stop nuts and crime.

In the new bill, any gun advertised on the internet, will need to be transferred with a background check, unless it is an exempt family member. Right now, I can advertise a gun for sale and a person near me could just come over to my place and pick it up. That will end.

6. Kevin Fleming

There is still debate about what constitutes internet advertising - whether it means ALL internet presentation, web storefront only, 3rd party sites like Gunbroker, etc. I think we'll have to see the final form of all this once the debating is over. Several GOP senators have agreed to let the bill go to the floor; the payback is that the Dem's will agree to allow amendments.

Is there any difference if I buy a gun from you after reading your ad in the saturday paper, or on Craig's List, oh wait - they don't allow firearm ads, but you get the point.

K

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

"(t)(1) Beginning on the date that is 180 days after the date of enactment of this subsection and except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person other than a licensed dealer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed importer to complete the transfer of a firearm to any other person who is not licensed under this chapter, if such transfer occurs-

Paragraph 2 gives the exceptions, and they are few. It negates the need for any advertising, not pertaining to the internet, or anywhere else.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

That's eactly correect Rick. Flyn's quoted text cannot be read the way he is reading it, it only applies to the situations following, that he did not post. Doesn't mean other sections don't do more, but that one only applies to gun shows or in response to ads in publications and/or internet. Pretty much elimates everything still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.