1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for eye docs./shooters on this site

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by backfenceata, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

My distance RX is -.50 both eyes, are RX lens really needed for trap ( I am 27 yrd if it matters)With my Rx lens in , the sight bead is very blured, but the target is very clear and with out the RX lens in , the target is slightly out of focus,(LIKE SHOOTING AN ALL OARNGE TARGET WITH NO BLACK RIM) but the bead is clear. I have shot my best score from the fence with out the RX (98) but was told by many that I would be better with the RX. I just need to decide . HELP ! KIRK
    I am sorry about the ? being of trapshooting nature , I just could not think of any thing/or one to slam , I will work on that later, LOL

2. WisconsinBob

WisconsinBob TS Member

Wow. I wish that were my problem. My eyes are like -9.50 and -10.00. Without glasses I would never make it to the range let alone hit the targets.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I will be 67 on Christmas Eve and have had to wear bifocals for many years. I of course use single vision lenses with the RX for distance vision in my shooting glasses and my front bead has been a blur for many years as well but the sharp view of the target is what counts. I can see my front bead pretty sharp without the glasses but I would be unable to see a target at trap distance.

4. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

One of the better lens builders told me he advises slightly reduced correction in shooting glasses. (His believe is most doctors over prescribe for the commort of the uses). But to make a simple statement I have ordered my glasses
    this way for a number of years. I have no problem seeing the front bead clearly, but alas the real need is to see the target clearly. If you see the target clearly then you will not need to see the bear, in fact if you do you will probably stop you swing and shoot behind the target. The secret is, if there is one, keep you eye on the target. If you see it clearly and continue to see it until the shot if fired you will most likely have success. If you see that bead you will miss. At least that is what I have been told by some very prominent 27 yard shooters. - Jim

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

One of the better lens builders told me he advises slightly reduced correction in shooting glasses. (His believe is most doctors over prescribe for the commort of the uses). But to make a simple statement I have ordered my glasses
    this way for a number of years. I have no problem seeing the front bead clearly, but alas the real need is to see the target clearly. If you see the target clearly then you will not need to see the bear, in fact if you do you will probably stop you swing and shoot behind the target. The secret is, if there is one, keep you eye on the target. If you see it clearly and continue to see it until the shot if fired you will most likely have success. If you see that bead you will miss. At least that is what I have been told by some very prominent 27 yard shooters. - Jim

6. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Sorry about the double comment, but it seems at this time of the evening my service provider (Frontier) seems to work slowly, even their supposed DSL, for which I pay way too much for. But alas only program available to me. - Jim

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try shooting with a -.25 correction. HMB

8. dumplin

dumplin TS Member

While I am not an opthamologist or optometrist, I believe you would be better off not wearing the glasses on Friday nights. Just wear them for c.b. practice.

9. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

backfence ,

If you can't ignore the beads , consider takin' them off . If your mount is correct , you should only need to concentrate on the target .

Charlie

10. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

THANKS ALL, The -.25 might be the compromise that I need. Also I will try to contact Mr. Rively
    And Dumplin I will expect you to show me how to use them big words friday night (opta what and oro who)I just wanted an eye docs help. LOL, Thanks, Kirk

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Don't worry about it, you'll be in those tifocals soon and will be happy if you can even see the target. AJ

12. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

I would suggest that you go to an eye doctor who shoots. I go to Andy Davidson in Tipp City. I have a different prescription in my shooting glass.

My shooting glasses are set up for distance not for close up. You don't want
    the same prescription that you have in your everyday prescription in your shooting glasses.

When you get your prescription you might want to look into someone who custom grinds lenses and makes a high defintion lense. Most places take a blank lense made in China and try to grind it to meet your priscription needs.

Post 4 Optics has their own CNC machines and they cut the lenses on site from the start and they don't use existing lenses and trying and make them to fit your needs. You can send in your prescription and your shooting glasses and they have a two day turn around. I just sent my Ranger XL frames there and the total charge including shipping was $107.00 and that was a two day turn around at the factory and they shipped them proirty mail.

Shooters seem to spend money on everything else to improve their shooting, but neglect to obtain a good pair of glasses. The thought seems to pervail that if I have a prescription for everyday that is what I need for shooting. For some people this works. Four years ago I talked to numberous shooters about a good eye doctor for shooters who understood there problems. I finally talked to Ricky Marshall one day and he recommended Andy Davidson. I was glad that I took his advice. Getting my eyes examed by him was one of the best decisions that I made. Probably the best money I spent to improve my scores.

13. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Hi,
    I am an eyedoctor. I did not read the other responses, but this is the answer. You should be looking at the target which is at optical infinity(>20 feet) not the bead. So your Rx should be on. That said you may notice problems focusing up close for a bit. The focusing muscles in your eyes are a bit lazy because you are a slightly near-sighted and you automatically focus things closer to you without making the muscles work (like the rest of us have to). Wear your Rx consistently for 2 weeks and you will notice that you can focus the beads well and see the target.

all the best,
    john

14. backfenceata

backfenceata TS Member

Thanks every one, does any one have a shooting doc in the southern IL area that they would recomend. Kirk

15. kolb

kolb TS Member

What state is Tipp City located in?? Rick

16. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

You might check with Allan Lehman at Lehman Optical. He knows his stuff and has tons of experience with shooting sports. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.