1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For doubles shooters that miss the second shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

So here's what I did to correct the problem. Like many here I was having trouble figuring out why I missed the second bird. Stopping the gun? No. Over, behind or under? Who the heck knows? What I did today was to lean into or towards the trap more. Kinda an exaggeration of my normal stance. It all came together. Even though I use a one ounce load on the first bird I was still getting kicked back into an awkward position for the second shot. By really pushing myself into more of a lean the problem disappeared. Simple. Low 40's went to high 40's in one round. I easily picked up 5 birds by doing this. Jim

2. warren

warren Member

I crossfire, terrible problem especially in doubles. When I move the gun toward the second target my left eye tries to take over, very pronounced.

warren

3. plaw

plaw Active Member

warren, have you tried tape on your left lense,it helps some shooters..

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Warren,

Shoot the left bird first and the problem might just go away. HMB

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

When you swing the gun for the second bird, make sure your cheek on the comb swings with it.

blade819

6. warren

warren Member

Thanks I'll try all of them. At least I know what the problem is for a very long time I didn't. I went to a Kiner Clinic and he showed me what I was doing, I do wear a patch over my left eye in the evening which seems to help but I don't think there is any positive solution except practice.

warren

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Here's an idea. If you can, adjust the comb on your gun over to one side just a notch. This way you can still have the same feel of your gun, but would then be shooting just a little 'crooked' thus making up the left eye dominance. And since when shooting the first bird the 'crookedness' of the comb really wouldn't be much of a problem since you're at the 16 yard line. I imagine this comb correction would be away from your cheek, towards the right side of the gun as you look down the barrel.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Warren,

If the patch over your left eye is BIG enuf', it CAN'T take over.

John C. Saubak

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Jim,

Adjusting the comb to purposely make the gun shoot to the right doesn't sound like a very good idea??............at all

10. warren

warren Member

I tried shooting with the patch but it was awfull even tape on my glasses screws me up I think it'l strikley mind control. It took me years to get into the habit I suppose it'll take years to get over it'

warren

11. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Keepng your head on the gun after first shot and moving as soon as you fire the first shot in a slight U shape pattern and hit second target. Practice this and over time your body will remember and your muscels will remember.

Shooting post 3 or 4 in a full squad helps as it will give you a sight line for your hold point to allow the fastest possible shot on the first target.

This was what helped me after taking a lesson from Shaun Holley.

12. billn

billn Member

LEFT EYED

I had the same problem with left eye taking over, I went to an eye doctor and he geve ma a prescription for glasses which turned out to be 20-15 , it cured my problems. I used patches and sight with the rail, help some, but still was left eye.

good luck.

13. APrice

APrice Active Member

I missed a bunch of second birds by overleading. If you have a good fast swing, just shoot right at it. The swing gives you a built-in lead. Works for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.