1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? For Brian in Oregon

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Is is possible to put an old Rem 1100 step rib barrel on one of the new Remington Classic trap gun? I have an old Rem 1100 model trap and I would like to maybe do some up gradeing. Pretty stock with cut checkering, a adjustable comb, maybe a recoil device, etc.
    Do you think the new Rem trap barrels are as good as the old ones? My gun is older I bought it in the 70's and have shot it at trap and skeet (I have a skeet barrel for it) Even used it Quail, and deer hunting back then. Lots of trap shells too. Still has the origional o ring. Just thinking about making a project gun for trap out of it. As far as the old barrel goes the only thing I would do to it would be to lengthing out the forcing cone, then again may be not.

Thanks for your input.
    mike t

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yes, the older step rib barrel can be installed on the newer Classic Trap, with the proviso that the forend won't fit. The step rib barrel has a standard profile, whereas the Classic Trap uses a light contour barrel. It is possible to open up the barrel channel in the forend to fit the larger diameter barrel, but it is possible to use a standard forend as well.

That's the short answer.

Note that the 1100 Classic Trap uses the 1187 style forend cap retention system. The cap is locked in place by a plastic insert in the end of the mag tube that is toothed, and these engage teeth inside the cap. The older 1100s have a ball detent in the forend wood that engages detents in the outer rim of the mag tube cap. Because the 1187 Trap had a standard barrel, I swapped the forend onto my older 1100 Trap, which also has a standard barrel. It fits and it works, at least on my gun. So it may be possible for you to use an 1187 Trap forend, as these are for a standard barrel and have cut checkering, but I have not tested this yet on a Classic Trap. If someone is local to you selling an 1187 Trap forend, try it. If it is an Internet sale, then I'd advise looking for a checkered 1100 standard barrel forend or having yours opened up.

And that's another thing. If you do open up your forend, it will still work OK with the light contour barrel. A standard contour forend will support a light contour barrel where it counts - near the chamber area, and at the gas chamber (incorrectly called the "barrel hanger"). I often use a light contour 1187 barrel in my 1187 Trap forend for sporting clays. No problem.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    That's true. Generally a bit of metal is filed off both sides of the slot, but check alignment first to make sure the original cut is centered.

4. mike T

mike T Member

thanks
    mike t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.