1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For an Auto Mechanic--Please help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I am having difficulty passing an auto emissions test for a 01 Ford Ranger. My mechanic tells me that I may need a "flex fuel sensor"--also saying that this part lists for approx. $600.00. Is this accurate? The truck has 150K miles and with also needed ball joints I think it's now a junk yard candidate.Please advise.Thank-you,Dennis Mastrolia.He said I am looking at a $1400.00 bill!!!

2. DENNISMASTROLIA1

I am thinking along those lines too.It's a work vehicle and it may just be worth it to pay the price.Thank-you.--Dennis Mastrolia.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Do a search on Ebay under "flex fuel sensor" you can replace yours for $150 in minutes.

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Unless you hold the mechanic in high regard, it might be worth getting more opinions.

Regards.....Gerald

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I use alldatadiy.com which is an on line repair manual that has repair instructions along with diagrams, troubleshooting and typical shop charges. The beauty of this resource is it helps you decide if the repairs are something you want to tackle yourself or if you want to farm the work out. You also get part numbers and descriptions here which you can use for internet shopping to save even more $.

6. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

If it won't pass emissions there's a very good chance it's set a code, even if you don't have a light. Do you know what that code is?

Even though A-Zone scanners leave something to be desired and not all use the same scanner, it would probably be worth the effort to run it down to a place to get scanned-----see what if any codes are showing.

Does it run "perfectly" otherwise?

7. DENNISMASTROLIA1

I am going to another mechanic tomorrow--I will look into the other advice given here also--Thanks--Dennis.

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

The Autozone scanners will tell you what code your throwing if you are. Its easy as cake, free, and takes about 30 seconds. Then they will go inside and print you a list of probable causes for your vehicle.

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Is this an OBDII test or are they using a Dyno? Ray

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Not to take away from your thread, but how many states have emission tests? We don't in Indiana, I guess we are lucky for now.

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

we have the emissions test here in Idaho - it s a joke. Just a revenue maker. The city and school bus's put out more bad air that the population of cars ever could and they have to do nothing

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If the truck is only worth say 50% of the repair bill then you should not be putting $1600 in a $800 truck. Just to let you know, I have at times done so because I to did not have the money for a replacement. Is the truck reliable? If so you want to do so. Someone here said to go to Ebay for the part. Just make sure its not made in Japan, Mex or Tiwan (sp). You can fix the ball joints yourself. Not a big deal. When removing them if they screw off count the turns and put the new one on with the same turns and then get a wheel alignment. With the other item you will have to find the right sealant to put it in. If you use the wrong sealant you will screw up the unit. You also might want to get in touch with Tron for more info. He was working for a Ford dealer in the shop for some time. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.