1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

For all you 870 TB-TC owners

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I just shot a newly purchased 870 TC today and have a question.

The slide seems to have resistance about an inch from the furthest most travel whenever you slide it forward. Then you have to use a little more effort to slide it the rest of the way to "cock" it.

It's almost like it supposed to be this way.

My 870 Wingmaster field gun slides fully forward without any resistance.

Is there a problem with the TC or is this normal?

Thanks,
    Blueraven.

2. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

How does it work on an empty chamber????? Are you trying to shoot non resized reloads??? check the lifter & make sure it travels freely, may be a small burr somewhere, check trigger assembly.. as this is not normal for 870s. Ross

4. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

It does the same thing regardless if there's a shell in it or not.

I'm using "Gun Club" factory loads and have tried other shells.

If I take the barrel off, it slides smooth.

I put another barrel on it and it does the same thing so it's not the barrel.

Thanks,
    Blueraven

5. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Probably when the slide is moving the locking lug up into the barrel. Be sure you have the magazine nut tight. If that is o.k., look at the barrel hood and see if there is a burr where the locking bolt goes into the barrel. Might be a little interference problem. Also could be burrs on the action bars.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I think Savage99stan has a good possibility there, look where the locking lug slides into bbl. ext. & see if it appears to be riding (dragging) if so & if it does the same thing with other bbls. the locking lug may need a SLIGHT refitting. if that looks like the culprit go SLOW & CAREFUL as it should not require very much metal removal. Ross

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

On second thought try another bolt & locking lug first, that should tell you if the problem is in the bolt &locking lug. You can probably borrow one from a buddy long enough to try this experiment.. Good luck Ross

8. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

by "bolt and locking lug" are you referring to the silver slide that butts up to the shell? If so, I'm suspecting that as well. I have another 870 Wingmaster field gun with what appears to be the same so a swap should identify or eliminate it if I swap them out.

How is this lug removed?

Thanks,
    Blueraven

9. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

Make sure one of the action bars isnt broken.
    It will still function but will be stiff operating when you close it.

This happened to me a long time ago on my TC. The broken pieces butted up against each other and it took a while to discover the problem.

ed

10. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The locking lug is the lump that rises out of the bolt when the action is closed. The barrel hood has a cut in it that the lug slides into. Take the slide assembly out, slide the bolt back and forth on the little plate that it sits on on the slide rails. You'll see the lug rise up...

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you shud have given a lil more $ for mine!!!!!! there is always a reason for something cheaper!? best regards wally in rock port

12. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Wally, you shouldn't kick a guy when he's down:), maybe shooting him would be more appropriate.

The gun does shoot well even with this issue.

The shop I bought it from stated that if there was anything wrong with the gun to just bring it back.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow and if I can't figure out the problem, I might just have to see what kind of integrity the shop I bought it from has.

Blueraven

13. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Can anyone guess what my problem is?

Thanks everyone for putting me in the right direction.

Since my Son put about 30 shells through this before the problem, I guess it just broke. I took the broken pin out and reassembled the gun and every thing slides smooth. Of course it surely won't fire.

Thanks everyone again for the help.

Blueraven
    [​IMG]

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm glad you found your problem, and it's an easy & inexpensive fix, now get out & enjoy that 870..Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.