1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FOR ALL AGAINST THE NEW RULE AT THE GRAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tony Fortino, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

I'm against it

Anyone else?

2. max nimrick

max nimrick TS Member

yep i am

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Well, stay home. Maybe 99 will win

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Against because it will keep some people from going.

I have NEVER met a trapshooter that said they were not going to the Grand because the ATA let people shoot reloads.

Mark Rounds

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you can't afford the little bit of cost difference between reloads vs new for the biggest shoot of the year, you couldn't afford to go in the first place.

The ATA should have never gotten away from restricting the Grand American to factory new shells.

ss

6. Don S

Don S Member

Please let us save money shooting our reloads. Perhaps the ATA could make money selling new shells and components.

7. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Short shucker...My wife and I will be shooting 200 targets each per day for the 12 days of the grand....thats 4800 shells. At $8.00 per box thats $1600.00. At $4.50 a box reloaded its $900.00.Do you consider that to be a LITTLE bit of cost difference? GaryL.

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bad idea, with no justification given...and the timing couldn't possibly be worse.

9. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

slugbug1

That is only a measly $700.00 difference. If you can't afford that you might as well stay home. (joke, joke, joke) But honestly, that is how some people think.

Mark

10. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Short shucker, once a can of worms is opened it's very hard to reseal it. Beleive it or not there are shooters that plan financially for this shoot all year long. They are not wealthy but they are avid shooters. That extra $100 could make a difference whether they can go or not. There was a shooter in one club I belong to that had very little in financial resources but loved to shoot the Grand and he went every year. He stayed at the nudist colony about 15 miles from Vandalia because it was very cheap and he could afford it. Not everyone has a lot of disposable income that they can just take off and go. Think beyond your station in life you seem to be one of the fortunate people good for you. Bulge.

11. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

We just might go to the Grand this year. Pretty soon I will be to GD old to find my way home. As for new shells, The ATA should never have allowed reloads in the first place, but they were trying to attract more shooters. I don't think this worked judging from attendance figures. New factory ammo makes it a level playing field for everyone, however I would be in favor of them stocking "economy ammo" like Estate, Gun Club, Super Target, etc, as well as the high priced stuff. As for $9/box new stuff, they have to pay a lot of behind the scenes workers. We always left Vandalia late in the afternoon of the last day and I could not believe how much trash the PIGS left behind. And some of you wonder why it costs so much to run such a large tournament. I'm done ranting now. Larry Evans

12. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

If I go I will shoot new shells anyways. But for the people that need to save some money let them shoot reloads.

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Being able to afford going to the Grand has nothing to do with it.
    I just refuse to pay the price of new shells at the Grand on principle.
    My reloads are every bit as good as factory. If it's factory only, I'm
    out.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bulge,

My station in life is one of modest means. I don't own any expensive guns, unless you consider 680 series Beretta's as expensive. I drive a truck that has over 200,000 miles on it. My only luxury is that my home and property is paid for. I make a descent living, but far from having a pocket full of dough.

My point being is that it will cost a little more to shoot at the biggest trap shoot in the world. If the extra couple of dollars is a deal breaker, then maybe you need to modify your plans. Shoot a couple of days less, take your lunch and cook your own dinner instead of eating out, shop a little less, etc...

There is quite a while between now and the Grand. You have plenty of time to save up a couple of extra dollars. I've had to earn a few extra $$ to do something I really wanted to do by taking a part-time job and cutting out a few extra's.

The question is, do you want to shoot or just complain about it?

ss

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Bad timing.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Have you ever seen the ATA offer a special discount price for shells, wads, primers, powder, to the ATA members?

Did they ever buy in bulk from Mfgrs and offer special pricing?

Now the vendors were offering better prices and shooters came to stock up even if they did not shoot. The last few days of the grand you could expect to have closeout prices as they did not want to take them back with them.

Wads were as low as $55.00 case, Cheddite and Rio primers were a lot cheaper.

Shot was cheaper, I know one dealer who would not lower his prices and had to haul it an extra 200 miles to get rid of it, did not want to give it to shooters for the same price.

Vendors at Ohio State Shoot like A.J. Brenner, Fin Feather Fur, Sportsmans Den
    sold out of almost everything to shooters coming to stock up.

Including Sporting Clay, Skeet shooters forbid.

Dawsons has their big sale near Ohio State Shoot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

What the ruleing read? Can an official walk up and swap 2 factory loads to a shooter to have them checked for speed amount and size shot?

Jerry

18. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

missed some hit the nail on the head. Whats happening now is the fault of the individual or individuals that allowed the reloads acceptable format. Now there will never be rest amongst the faternity as always is the case when long established rules are changed! Now we have again just another topic for discussion with potentially damaging results.

19. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Was planing to attend this year for the first time ever. Been shooting reg. since 1990. Mostly because of leting me shoot my reloads. But if the rule is reinstated I will not be going, nor will I ever go. It is to expensive to buy shells on site.
    Darwin

20. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

It is not just the forced issue of shooting new shells, last year I bought my shells there and not even halfway through Grand week, the shellhouse was out of the shells I shoot.. Not going because for me, just an average shooter, I win more money and better trophies at the state shoots. No added money for the "world" championship, get real! How many leather shooting bags can one use and don't forget those "money" clips.. heart be still!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.