1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for 90-T 'smart folk"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Captain Bud, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

OK folks, I just ran into a 34" full choke 90-T. Gun was sold to a person that put it into the gun safe and never shot it. Comes with an off-brown (not Browning) but browning like case. Right hand palm swell, no knicks or scrapes.

The gun measured 14 inches for LOP over a one inch pad. I've seen the statements about low and high ribs. I didn't get the serial number. I did get a quote on price.

What do you folks think this gun is worth with the case?

Also, aren't these the guns that a top company made for Remington?

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.

Phil Santos
    Capt. Bud

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

If it,s a low rib $2,100 is a high rib $2800 give alittle more for like new . Kolar made them for Remington .

ALF

3. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Alf

Thanks for the reply. Was 14 " LOP factory? I'm thinking that the stock might have been cut down.

How high is a high rib? This one looks like a bt-99 rib.

Phil

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Probably a low rib from your description. 14 inch lop is short, should be a bit longer. 14 1/8 but might have been 14 3/8 would be factory. If it has not had factory updates to the forearm or locking bolt you are probably looking at another $350 to have it done.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

A high rib is adjustable. If there is not a little piece of metal shaped like a woodruff key on the inside of the forend iron by the latch it has not been updated. Sounds like it has been shortened, should be more than 14 inches by a quarter or 3/8".

$2k is not unreasonable, but not too cheap either. I paid 1800 and put another couple hundred in a comb and butt job. Mine only had a couple boxes through.

HM

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

captain bud:

1. If the rib looks anything like a Bt-99 it's a low rib for sure.

2. 90-T's were built for Remington by Kolar Arms of Racine, Wisc.

3. I'd bet a stock with a one inch pad and 14" lop has been cut.

4. Not enough info about the case to offer an opinion about value.

5. Bridger makes a good point about the updates to the forearm and locking block. There's pricing info (for the updates) and a photo of the forearm update on Doug Braker's website, Doug's Gunsmithing.com

sissy

7. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Thanks guys.

My price is 1600.00 plus tax. I know that it will need a adj. comb and a recoil system of some sort. I guess I'll think about it some.

Again guys, Thank you for your responses.

Phil Santos

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Thats a good price The 90-T was-is built like a tank and problem free . If you need to lengthen the stock the cheapest way is add an ADJ. pad . The Country Gentleman ADJ. pad is I think close to 3/8 inch plus a mag. pad and you have 14-1/2 LOP.

ALF

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Buy it. Period. That is a very good price. As stated, they're built like a tank and will run forever with just an occasional touch up.

One of my friends got one the first year, paid 2500 and has been shooting it (a lot) ever since.

Aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd...........they don't make them any more.

HM

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Looked for 3 years to find an "unmolested" gun - uncut, unchoked, no porting, no "dicking" with it. Its a "Kolar" one can buy, and have fit for a fraction of a "Kolar" Single.

Phil, sales tax?! Is this from a dealer or private party. If a dealer, beware the sales pitch.

If you're unsure whether you want it, give someone the oportunity who is completely sure...

Respectfully offered,

Jay Spitz

11. 3DHC

3DHC Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Phil,

The price is very good. Check the face of the receiver to see how much the gun may have been shot. You can usually see a shell outline that cannot be wiped off and enlargement around the firing pin hole if its been shot a lot. It usually take a year of regular shooting to get some blue ware along the bottom edges. The barrel should fit tight in the receiver also. Stay away from the gun if the barrel fit is loose!

The stock has likely been shortened as many gave already said. I have owned four (4) of them and presently have two (2).

I would consider adding an adjustable butt plate to pick up the LOP if you need it. I personally prefer the 100 Straight Products through the pad adjustable model.

If you buy the gun, I would also shoot it for a while before adding a recoil reducing device or adjustable comb. The gun is inherently heavy and the barrel is overbored making recoil less than many other guns. Adjustable combs and recoil reducing devices add weight and make 90t's butt heavy in my opinion.

I also remember the old Bud Team at the Oaktree Round Robins.

Good Luck,

Butch

12. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Again guys, thank you for your thoughts on this gun.

When I put the tape measure to the gun I figured that it had probably been shortened. It appeared that the pad just barely didn't perfectly align with the stock. I figured that maybe--the manufacturer might have made a mistake but I just had a feeling it had been cut down. The good thing is that the lop at 14" will work for me - at least for for a tryout of the gun.

And I'm sure that there are other people that-- should I not be happy with the gun-- will purchase the gun from me.

Thanks guys

Phil Santos
    Capt. Bud

13. Rich V.

Rich V. Member

? for 90-T 'smart folk

Phil... Sounds like a great gun. I've had both the low rib and hi-rib (still own the hi-rib) and they are great guns. I'd buy it if I were you. On the lenght of pull, it does sound short. However, it might not have been cut down. Many of these guns came with a lenght-of-pull adjuster from the factory. Someone might have removed it and just re-installed the recoil pad. Remove the pad and if there are a couple of holes (other than than the ones that retain the pad) around .25-.32 in diameter in the end of the stock, that is most likely the situation. If not, then the staock was probably cut down a little bit. If so just have a length-of-pull adjuster installed and you should be go to go.

Rich V...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.