1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for 870 user

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steer Tripper, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I was wanting yo know if you do anything special to your 870? Trigger job,recoil reducers etc. Also will an 870 trap barrel work on an 870 express frame.
    Thanks
    David

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I don't see why the barrel wouldn't fit.

3. algebra1

algebra1 Member

I have an old tc model that someone put a broadway rib on and has a timney release trigger plus a morgan pad.I have some more expensive guns,but I just like the way it feels and points.

4. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

I did not tell you I have just been shooting about a year. I tried two other guns and they are all right but broke out my 870 bird gun today and shot it better than any of the others. I thought I might just sell the other two and rig out two 870's just a like. Everybody is always telling me you need a backup. I figured that you could not get two more alike than 870.

David

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

David, Yes when I was shooting my wingmaster I added a mercury reducer in the stock and then found the barrel to light and added a forend weight on the screw cap for the barrel. If you want to give me a E-mail and I will give you the gentleman's name and number for the weights. wwwWenp5@aol.com.www. Drop the www's. break-em all. Jeff

6. 870smokim

870smokim TS Member

I worked on my triger, and had to bend the barrle a bit.
    Put your mine in gear before you mess up your gun.
    Joe

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Nothing wrong with 870s. I started on a 870 exspress, bought a synthetic stock with monte carlo comb. Used body filler to cutomize comb height and make palm swell. Bought some super fine emry cloth polished up the inside contact points a bit on the slides. I never fired a shot gun with a "trigger job" so I couldnt tell you if that makes a difference? Some times barrels can cost all most as much as a good used trap 870. Shoot what you have, if you get hooked start saving.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I hear all these stories about 870s that never break - it sure wasn't my experience.

I have an 870 TB about late 70s vintage, bought new. I shot it pretty much from 1978 when I started, through 1986, then from 1997 when I came back from an 11-year break (Retriever Field Trials) to 1999. In 2000 I bought my 682. During the time I was shooting it I broke the spring on the firing pin at least twice (causes random misfires), some part in the mechanism so that it would not eject reliably (makes it hard to shoot doubles), and finally the stock broke near the tang. In order to add more weight and cut recoil, I replaced the magazine plug with a four-inch piece of aluminum conduit filled with lead. It still kicked me enough that I have scar tissue on my right cheek. On the plus side, it has a fixed full choke trap barrel that delivers great patterns.

They make good starter guns, especially the older models - if you don't care to shoot doubles. They are relatively inexpensive. I still use a synthetic stocked one for duck hunting. There are lots of better trap guns out there.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shot an 870 in the early 1970's and it was a fine gun. I did carry the receiver from my hunting 870 in my shooting bag and could fix anything that might break between rounds. For singles and handicap, the gun is excellent. It would not be my choice for doubles.

PerazziBigBore- I did not know that Vern made a PFS grip for an 870. Did I miss this information or did you somehow make a custom grip?

Pat Ireland

10. ricks1

ricks1 Active Member

if you want barrell weight unscrew mag cap in stick 1 or 2 mag shells in there you only shoot 2 at a time anyway you all missed a good 870 wingmaster 20ga that was on hereabout 10 days ago nice gun rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.