1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for 3200 shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mudbug, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

I have read (never seen it, tho) of 3200 forearms cracking and how to prevent it. If memory serves me (and this is failing), this could be prevented or delayed by "painting" the inside of the forearm with epoxy, varthane or some such. If you have done this, please let me know what you used. Thanks..........Milt

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Milt, contact Bob Dodd, he has much experience with 3200s and offers several tips on preventing cracks. Liabs is also a valuable resource.

Guy Babin

3. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

Thanks, Guy. He's the man. I have sent Bob a PM.

Milt

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Late in the process of doing upgrades for these guns was the painting of any epoxy-like material, like verathane on the inside of the forearm and the butt stock where it meets metal. Also there is the strong warning not to tighten the butt stock bolt more than 5 lbs of torque. Other suggestions from me is to disconnect the ejector hammers in the forearm iron assembly so that the stress of cocking those hammers and releasing them to eject shells is relieaved. The gun will still extract shells with the ejector hammers disengaged. The hammers can be dealt with by either removing the ejector hammer cocking rods in the receiver and tripping the ejector hammer sears or, the only method I've done, to remove the ejector hammer springs. Any decent gunsmith should be able to do either for you. Pat Laib will charge you to improve the ejector hammer mechanism, make more strong, in one of his improvements but I save shells, didn't ever regret just disabling the ejector hammers, and avoided the repair fix as described. If your gun needs an upgrade package, it should go to Pat Laib, 201 North Hwy 23, Spicer, MN 56288 320.796.2686. When 3200s were my only gun for trap, skeet, and sporting, they served me well and provided a number of 100s at the 16 yard line with 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads in the I.M. under barrel.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

Thanks, Bob........ Milt

6. 333t

333t Member

A fairly common occurance with the 3200 is for space to develop between the forend wood and forend iron and can be seen where the hinge metal meets the wood. If this develops, it is easily corrected by first loosening the forend screws inside the forend. The front screw which is angled and should be retightened first, acts to draw the forend iron and wood together and the space will be eliminated. Then retighten the other screw.

There is also an adjustment in the forend for taking up wear in the hinge. This is covered in the owner's manual and various gun books.

I believe that most forend cracking is caused by letting the space mentioned above develop which causes an unsupported bearing surface for the wood. The ejectors and springs are fully contained in the forend iron and do not exert direct pressure on the wood.

Remington's engineers were thinking ahead when they designed these two adjustments in the forend. The 3200 is hard to beat for price, performance, and reliability.

Phil

7. mudbug

mudbug TS Member

Thanks, all........... Milt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.