1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for 27 yard shooters???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by trapshootin hippie, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Do you shoot the same fun fron the 27 that you do from the 16? Haven't made it back that far yet, so was just wondering. Any adjustments other than lead?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I shoot the same gun and choke. I do switch to a slightly faster load and change from 8 shot to 7.5 shot. The heavier load and larger shot is probably unnecessary, but I still do it.

Lead is another question. I never think about leading a bird, I just look at the bird and my gun takes care of the lead without me doing anything.

Pat Ireland

3. deking00

deking00 Member

Same Gun, Same Choke, and Same POI.

David King

4. alf174

alf174 Member

only change is 2-1/2 or 2-3/4 dram 1oz to a 3 dram 1-1/8oz

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Different fun. Less smoke. More work. ;-) Jake

6. Bill60

Bill60 TS Member

same gun same choke same poi it is all fixed the only thing i change is the shell

i also dot think about lead i agree with pat

Steven

7. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

Same gun same choke same shells 71/2 3 dram load

8. trapshootin hippie

Now I'm disapointed!!!!! Was looking for a reason to buy another gun. Sure hope my wife don't read this.

9. Len in Phoenix

Len in Phoenix TS Member

I'll go against the grain here.....I use one gun for 16 yards and doubles and another for 27 yard handicap. I've found that my technique needs to be slightly different at 27 yards than it is at 16, and that I was getting "confused" about which game I was playing when I used the same gun for everything. I'd forget once in a while and try to shoot 16 yard targets using the hold point/eye position/gun speed/etc that I use for 27 yards and it would usually result in a missed target. Using 2 guns allowed me to tie the technique to the gun and solved that problem. YMMV....I'm only A-27-A, so you might want to listen to the big dogs instead of me.

Although, if you need an excuse to buy another gun then feel free to do so.

Len in PHoenix

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Len mentioned one thing I forgot, hold point. I hold on the front lip of the house for singles and about a foot lower for handicap. I know it is counter intuitive, but the lower hold point allows me to shoot the handicap targets faster. At least for me, a high gun is slow and a low gun is fast. I pick up the target faster by holding low.

Pat Ireland

11. rw993

rw993 Active Member

Pat,

Are you a one eye or two eye open shooter? Might make a difference if "Hippie" is applying some of this advise....

Ron Wilson

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Same gun, choke, and comb height. use light 8's on 16, 3dram 7.5 or faster on 27. I hold a lower gun on caps.

13. trapshootin hippie

Ron, I shoot with both eyes open, or try to.

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Frank Little in his video said to leave the gun alone as for POI when changing from Singles to Handicap. Phil Kiner recommends changing the POI to shoot higher for long yardage Handicap. You be the judge what works for you.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do have two eyes, but I must shoot with one of them blocked.

Pat Ireland

16. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Pat, I know you have two eyes and I didn't mean to answer for you. I myself have a tendency to crossfire occasionally so I too hold right down on the house for Handicap Posts 1 & 5 so that my right eye can always see the target above the barrel.

17. trapper

trapper TS Member

Phil Kiner does say to raise the POI...but also...hold the gun lower on the house.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

miketmx- I do not mind you answering for me, especially since your answer was correct. I am a one eyed shooter who just happens to have an extra that is not used when I shoot.

Pat Ireland

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

More fun, same gun, different choke, Nitro 27's, Federal Handicaps, same too-high POI.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

1150fps 7/8's 8.5's IM from the 16. 1250fps 1oz. 7.5 LF from the 27. Ljutic mid rib with PFS 70/30. I don't change the gun, just the load I shoot. Broke 100 from the 16 today, and 48 from the 27 (24/24), using these loads. Only for fun today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.