1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? for 1100 experts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by darr, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darr

darr Well-Known Member

On the 1100 3" magnum barrel if you want it to cycle light loads what size should the gas port be drilled to?Or should an additional port be drilled?Finally can someone ,I won't say who, with limited gunsmithing abilities perform this work or should it go to a gunsmith?Thanks.

Darr Wilson

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Drilling another gas port in an 1100 magnum effectively ruins the barrel if you ever intend to use 3" loads in it again...too much gas will batter the receiver and shorten the life of the gun. Better to spend $75 - 100 bucks and get a standard 2 3/4" barrel in the choke configuration you want. That said, if you only intend to shoot trap (16s and handicap) - one shell at a time - leave the barrel alone. The only time you need it to cycle is for doubles and most go to an O/U for that game anyway. Best Regards, Ed

3. JLW

JLW TS Member

A lot of 1100 users are happy with Hastings bb'ls. You might give those a close look.-Jerald

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you do decide to drill the barrel there is always the chance you might have the joyous experience of trying to rmove a broken drill bit.

This leads to the fun of sawing the barrel up and putting it in the trash.

HM

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Get a new barrel, call these guys have a good selection.

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that this was a common practice.I guess I was mistaken.I will go another route.

Darr

7. Duck

Duck Member

Darr,

It used to be a common practice at least in my area, I used a toothpick to
    in the original hole to determine the angle. Then a slight tap with a pointy
    punch at the new hole location, sharp bit and drill very slowly. Can't remember what size I used but had to enlarge it as it still would'nt cycle.
    I drilled and tapped mine for a set screw so I could block it off for 3" shell's. The set screw was a SOB if you let it get covered in carbon which is a product of normal function, and "my" hole location when enlarged for the set screw was exactly at the improper place and would cut the gas ring quickly!.
    Like other's above I think a used 2 3/4" barrel would save you from talking to yourself!, :) been there friend!.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.