1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Foot Powered Reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gross Man, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Has anyone built a foot powered reloader? I was thinking about taking an old exercise bike and building a linkage to my PW. I would love to see pictures if anyone has done this and any ideas or suggestions. Billy

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Around 1990, "Jim's(?) Eye & Ear" from Florida had pedal-powered P/Ws for sale at the Pennsylvania State Shoot. Most of the guys I was with thought they were too expensive and I never heard anything about the idea after that.

Ed

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I saw the pedal powered unit at the Spring Grand some years ago.

Unfortunately my attention was more on the very nice tootsie operating it.

HM

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

exermatic. Jeff

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Unknown1 hit this right on the head with his first statement. When using an electric or pneumatic assist, you lose the "feel" of the press. Things get bent and broken in a hurry when being forced into a position they do not want to be at for whatever reason. Unless the assist has an adjustment which can be set to a few pounds over what a normal press stroke reads, you run the risk of doing permenant damage to your equipment. I have broken stuff with just hand pressure because of the compound leverage you achieve on a press. If it feels funny, it probably is. You lose that "funny feel" with automation unless you pay a bunch for it.

JK

6. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Guys - Thanx for your inputs-

1. I am also concerned about loosing feel with an electric or hydraulic drive, but I think with a pedal drive you would still have some feel
    2. I like the exermatic idea.
    3. Loosing the lower bench space would be a problem.
    4. If you use an bicycle type mechanism, you would only pedal forward

I am still poking around with this idea, so inputs are welcome.

Thanx,
    Billy

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Tatanka Donk has or had on for sale..

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Lately I have been enjoying my V8 sbc powered 'loader'. Just drive it up to the club and write some stuff on on a funny little piece of paper and drive it home with a dozen or so flats of top guns in the back.

I don't know of any other loader out there that can match that for ease of operation or 'production' rate.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its how they did it on "Gilligan's Island".
    [​IMG]

10. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

That's what I've been talken bout. Billy

11. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I built a foot-operated linkage for my Mec Automate and wouldn't go back to the double buttons at all. As far as losing the "feel" of the loader, I think that's just a trade-off for the use of a power loader. I have the Automate electric (now foot-operated), a 9000 Hydraulic, and still use three different grabbers for small-gauge and miscellaneous loadings. I hardly ever ruin a case with the Grabbers, but with either power machine, it happens before you know it, usually when the shell doesn't fall completely into the collet. I still wouldn't trade back to the manual machines. The foot operation is icing on the cake for me.

Larry

12. emufriedchicken

emufriedchicken TS Member

LDAdd, have you made a linkage that presses both buttons or have you wired in a foot pedal that activates the reloader instead of the buttons???

13. PULL PULL

PULL PULL Member

I had a conversation with Dick Medley ,at the grand. He had the pedal powered reloader on display. He said he designed it for his brother. His brother only had one arm. I almost bought one. They load pretty slick. And are pretty heavy. Which is a good thing in reloading.I went for a 900 with hydraulics.

14. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

I actually had the P/W "Exermatic" at one time, but gave up on it after not too long. Didn't like how you had to press forward on the pedal pretty hard when doing the same step in reloading as pulling down the operating arm. When doing it manually with your arm, the reloader goes down to it's "rest" on the button and then you put in your new hull and then kind of "pop" it up (release the resting stage) to push it forward for the next step. With the "Exermatic", you couldn't really press it so that it goes to a "lock" position, or then you couldn't "bump" it out of that phase, so you just ended up holding pressure long enough to put the hull in then press the other foot to get to the wad stage. OR maybe I just didn't have it set-up right. I eventually gave the stand to a nephew as a fancy (expensive) shooting bench. I did use the nice powder coated wad and hull hoppers for many years, but the machine DID take up quite a bit of space, instead of what I now have. Mike* (MH*)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.