1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

foot position

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wayneo, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Can someone tell me where my feet should be placed at the 16 yard trap line at each station? I've read dozens of times to line your feet up with a left angle bird from station 5 or stand at an angle of 22 degrees from center of trap house. Gimme a break, I'd need a transit to tell 22 degrees of angle. Isn't there a way of pointing my feet at something or lining my heels up. Thanks for any info, wayne ostman

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

On stations 1 and 2, I point my left foot towards the point that I will break a left angle bird with a normal swing. I keep my feet about 10” apart and stand fairly straight. I hold for a straight-a-way. This allows me to swing on the left angle bird more easily than if my feet were pointed towards station 5. It works for me.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Like gun hold points, there is no right for everyone. Just get comfortable in a position that allows you the range of motion you need to cover the angles on 1 & 5. I think a good place to start is to just walk up to post 3, stop, mount and point you gun straight over the house like you would shoot at a rising bird. Now look down and see how your feet aligned themselves naturally.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Stand with your gun mounted. Move the gun from left to right. Depending on if you are lefty or righty, the gun will move up at one end of your swing and down on the other.

This will define your "sweet spot" or "comfort zone", where you can shoot properly without the long muscle in your back (latissimus dorsi) messing up the shot.

This is usually an area that covers an arc of about 80-85 degrees, at least it is for me.

When you address the traphouse, place your feet so the comfort zone covers any shot you might make.

As a coincidence, the foot positions explained in Missildine's book coincide perfectly with my method.

They may be on the Remington site, in the "trap fundamentals" part.

Good luck.

HM

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Here's the foot position in the old standard, from Remington. Phil E

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

HM gave good advice on foot position but I am not sure he named the correct muscles. I think he wanted to refer to the muscles deep to the lats.

Pat Ireland

7. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

As the Above mentioned Missildine, wrote, " you have a good IDEA of were the bird will not be thrown".

So maybe think about it kinda of backwards.

On post one you know how far right you need to go to be able to cover the bird that for the machine is the hard right, from this post it is a near straightaway.

So set up so that the straightaway is just inside your comfort zone to this your right side, this will leave you positioned to keep the hard left almost centered in what a lot of people call the sweet spot!

This guide line also works for post five as you know were the straightaway will go and having it just inside the left edge of your sweet spot, will leave you free to swing comfortably on the hard right.

Al

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The book was "score better at trap and skeet" Thought Missildine was the author. Memory gets hazy as the body gets rusty.

NOw if the nits are all picked, I hope you got the drift. When I show newbies how to skeet, I use the sweet spot method instead of trying to show different foot positions for 25 different shots.

Same goes for trap. You know where the targets are, put your feet to shoot them. Reducing complication frees the brain to work the target.

HM

9. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

As JBrooks says, there is no right way for everyone, but the easiest way I have heard explained for investigating a start point is to get on a field that has the hard right and the hard left marked with a stake. If you are a righty, start by always having your heels (or legs) aligned with the far left stake. That will mean that you have a more open stance(sorry for the golfing reference) on Sta. 1, and you will be almost parallel with the lane when you get to Sta 5. Lefties can do the same thing, just align with the right stake. After trying a few rounds of that, then adjust if you find you have more trouble turning to one particular bird.
    Dennis

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

A line drawn across the tips of your toes should always parallel walk-way on post 5, and conversley so for LH shooters. And, you feet need to straddle the centerline of the walk-way you are standing on.

This is shown and explained the the book "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros." These foot placements are for a natural human stance.

You may want to research this becaus this topic has been discussed at length previously.

Whiz White

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What Whiz says is the basic fundamental from which you can figure out what fits you....tweak it as you need, it's pretty simple, really...

Jim Chapman (the lesser)
    Michigan

12. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Stand for the hard left bird, hold for the hard right.

Remington's recommendation.

Start with that, go from there.

Take a course with a Pro and see what he has to say. What is comfortable to you, may actually be hurting your score and develpoing bad habits.

13. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Roughly parallel with the most extreme angle opposite of your shooting shoulder. John

14. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Far more important than foot alignment is proper balance in your stance and posture. I watch the really good shooters and they are well balanced and don't contort themselves into strange postures. Then I watch some average shooters and it is sure easy to see why they are average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.