1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Foot Position

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Traders, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

What foot positions do people use at the different trap stations.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

As long as it complies with the rules (VII, E, 10), they can use whatever stance they are comfortable with.

Some like to be more squared up to the center line, others like to close their stance (right-handed shooter) as they move from post one to post five.

Any stance should allow you to move to all the angles without binding up. This is especially critical in doubles.

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Check out the video "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros." It is THE classic for foot positions. There is some ergonometric sicence to foot stance and positioning.

MOTODOC on this site sells the video. I have the book and you can find the book available on eBay from time-to-time. It has quite a few well done drawings.

D. Lee Braun and Dick Baldwin are in the video and Braun is the book's author.

Whiz

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I stand so a line across my toes would form a 45* angle to the front of the pad on post one gradually closing my stance as I progress across the posts until I'm standing at a 90* angle on post five.

John C. Saubak

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click on the link and scroll down to Trap Shooting Fundamentals by Remington. It's the same thing thats in the pull out section of D.Lee Braun's book.

You can also get the DVD from the ATA Hall of Fame with a $25.00 donation.

Wayne

6. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

post one my toes are about 4 inches off the front of the box, about as open a stance as possible,

with a gradual change post to post I end up (or start) with my toes aligned with the right side of the box on post five, really closed up postion but helping keep my face on the stock for those hard rights.

AL

7. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Someone needs to define "open" and "closed" stance!

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

"Open" is defined as more of the front of your body (chest) facing forward. "Closed" means that less of your front and more of your left shoulder (for a right-hander) is facing forward. It is reversed for a left-handed shooter. It is a golf expression.

9. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I agree with Rick, both feet should be on the ground...unless you shoot like a Flamingo, then you can stand on one foot!

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This is pretty much how I stand...I try to be "open" as much as I can towards the target. This in theory will also open up for better gun placement. If you are bladed too far the pocket of your shoulder will be smaller thus causing your gun mount to be inconsistent. At least that is what I tell myself.

[​IMG]

This is for right had shooters.

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Kinda like disco dancing in other words.

GneJ

12. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

13. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

My scores have gone up and been more consistant since I opened my stance up from a squared in position. I find as a right handed shooter I am able to turn left more easily. The perfect position is the one that works for YOU.

14. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Cal Kidd, I use your 1,2,3 style but not your 4,5. I just continue to 2,1 on 4,5 station. The stance is not why I miss alot. It's because I only shoot 25 shells per week if I shoot at all and haven't shot in 20 years. Oh, I suffered a stroke the first week in August and hit 19/20 from 16 yd last Sunday. Same as before the stroke. I sure would enjoy catching up to my friend soon. But he's not showing me any mercy!!

Harry

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

You have to do what works best for you. I shoot with a much more closed stance than any of these guides show. They just seem too open to me and too restrictive of movement. Let me put it this way: If I was shooting a rifle at a target from post three straight-away, my comfortable stance would not be anywhere near parallel with the front of the pad as shown above, I'd be rotated very much more to the right. If I'm comfortable aiming in the middle of the target area, I can swing to either side without difficulty. Same thing with a shotgun, my stance would be geared for being able to comfortably move throughout the target area. Those open stances don't feel that way to me.

You gotta do what works for you.

16. Calkidd

All in all it is what you feel comfortable with, but if for some reason your shooting is suffering and if in fact it has been whittled down towards positioning you might want to consider changing it.

I have a friend that has a very wide, well over shoulders width, and bladed stance. He is the 2011 AA California State singles champion.

Then during an ATA shoot I noticed a 27 yard shooter that would stand with his heels touching and his feet going out in a V shape.

Different strokes for different folks.

Bryan

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here's the technique, with pictures...this should answer all the questions.

Curt

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I disagree with the photo above of the five foot positions.

As th Remington pros state: Stand comfortably with feet about as fas apart aw your shoulders, slight bit of extra weight on forward foot, and for HR shooters, a line drawn across the toes, should always parallel the centerline of post 5. Adjust accordingly with L-to-R and R-to-L winds.

If you swuare yourself as in the above photo you have your hips too square to the trap house.

IMHO and Remington's.

WW

19. Calkidd

What would be wrong with your hips being square to the house? That is a picture I found and not my own drawing.

Bryan

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I agree with Whiz...much to square to the traphouse for me. Restricts the movement to the right bird, forcing the gun away from the face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
foot position for trap

foot position for trap shooting

foot position trap shooting
right handed foot position for trap shooting
trap foot position
trap foot positions
trap shooting foot position

trap shooting foot positions