1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

foot drop

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by csapsg18, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csapsg18

csapsg18 TS Member

just had back surgery for ruptured disc bad enough I have foot drop in my right foot . Just got home anybody had any experience with this ? Sounds like a long haul for me . thanks Chris

2. boneman

boneman TS Member

Chris I had the surgery around 3 years ago and will be heading for a fusion soon enough. Sorry to say I have a left foot drop and it hasn't and I don't believe ever will go away. It does cause problems but my wife says she can hear me in a store a mile away of course unless it's you:>). Sorry and thank you for your time. Larry

3. striper

striper Member

I have had 2 laminectomies l5 l4 but never heard of foot drop. It may be the one thing I do NOT have:) What is it Also had each hip replaced. I hope my Chiropractor can keep me from the next one which will be a fusion.

4. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Fellows,I am sorry what is foot drop?

Bo

5. boneman

boneman TS Member

it's from a nerve entrapment your foot drops when you walk, can't pull your ankle up so it makes a slapping noise. Thank you for your time. Larry

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have a disease that can result in that. Doc says they have some kind of brace that really works well. Good luck

7. locdoc

locdoc Member

A couple of days ago there was a thing on "Good Morning America" about a woman who had been helped with her foot drop condition with something that stimulated the nerve(s). With that item on she can walk normally. I'll try to research it more and get back here.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

copy and paste the following if the link above is too long for the address box

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4208183&page=1

The lady has MS not a result of back surgery but maybe there is something similar.

Good luck, Chris and Larry.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

9. joehunter

joehunter Member

Chris,

My left foot has drop foot. It was caused by a degenerate nerve. This pretty much ended my professional golf career.I have had it for the past 4 years. Mine happened over time with no real cause. I wear a special brace that I wear under my pants and it makes me walk normal. Most people cannot even tell I have a foot problem. The Cleveland Clinic said their was not much they could do to help. They still cannot find why this nerve became degenerate since I was only 25 years old when I was diagnosted.

Joe

10. B.C.

B.C. Member

http://www.ottobockus.com/products/shelf_orthotics/lower_extremity_28u11.asp

cut & paste this link. been dealing with foot drop for over 5 years,this is new technology . hope this helps !B.C.

11. nipper

nipper TS Member

Over exposure to lead fumes can also cause this condition

Bill

12. csapsg18

csapsg18 TS Member

thanks for the help first night home can't sleep flat all night pain in hips had to get up to stretch. I haveto get over surgery then physical thearpy . hopefully by the time warm weather gets here i will be able to shoot . Being 40 with 3 kids in school I really don't have time for this . Just ranting thanks Chris

13. boneman

boneman TS Member

Doug thank you for the post and your concern. Chris your going to get better just give it time. I was able to go back to shooting but it might have been too soon although the Dr. said I could do it. I had a hard right at the fall tourney in Middletown Ohio 2 years ago and well I haven't done much trap since. Chris my brother-in-law had this same surgery many years ago he too had small children at that time and it didn't slow him down with them nor his golf game so keep your chin up it will be fine. Thanks Larry Van Dyke

14. Maurice

Maurice Member

I have a herniated disc which has resulted in foot drop,especially in my left foot. I have had this condition for over four years now and I wear a brace when I walk two or three miles for exercise. Without the brace eyou can hear me coming a mile away as the foot slaps the ground. I have got used to it and it causes me no problems a does not affect my shooting. Apparently there is no cure. Best of luck. ( Maurice the Brit )

15. csapsg18

csapsg18 TS Member

walked a little today all and all a pretty good day. get boot tomorrow

16. Rum River

Rum River TS Member

Due to a nerve disease, I have dealt with foot drop on both feet for decades.

The AFO pictured via the one link will improve things beyond belief. My AFOs have to be made from a plaster cast of my leg, as I also have trouble with the ankle folding to the sides.

When finished, the plastic (in my case) wraps around the sides and back of my calf from my knee out to my toes. If your leg/ankle does not have lateral movement, it sure looks like that AFO pictured could solve your problem.

Man, before I had the AFOs, I swear there were days I was tripping over just a shadow on a sidewalk. Any irregularity at all on the walking surface would make me trip.

Good Luck, Dan

17. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

A friend of mine had it and it cleared up after a long while.Jack

18. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

csapsg18, My neurosurgeon told me that when you hit 40 years old your body will tell everything you did to it as a kid. I believe him,

After 4 surgeries,startin with the # 1 rib removed, experimental spinal cord surgery at 40 years old and both hips replace at 44 years old from 2000 to 2004 and now need knees, I watch my boys sports activities very closely.

I have osteoarthritis through out my whole body and it runs in the family, so my boys are likely to have it later in life as well.

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.