1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Food on Sparta grounds

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by 20yard, Jul 17, 2013.

1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Here atSparta this week with SCTP and very disappointed with new food vendor in main building. No breakfasts or coffee in morning, ,main restaurant not open for lunch, only break area and Italian restaurant that replaced 42nd street BBQ is terrible. The good news is there will be no long wait for a table. Before you order pizza be warned its with provel cheese, a St. Louis invention best left undiscovered for pizza.

2. JT 27

JT 27 Member

This will make the 3rd food vendor at Sparta. The state of Illinois probably makes the food concession rights so expensive that no one can make a go of it. There are enough restaurants around the area that the residents do not need to travel to the shooting complex to eat.

3. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

Remember if its on the grounds there is the five second rule. Bud

4. saltman

saltman TS Member

Hey 20 yd im on my way down tomorrow, do they let you grill your own chow in parking lot or anywhere on grounds? Maybe throw the "Weber" in for the trip?

5. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I take a grill to the Grand with me every year -- it saves a trip to the vendor area on the days we don't feel like moving between events. The only problem I've ever had is people following their noses to my tent and asking what's for lunch...

That said, I've never had any bad food on the grounds at Sparta. Sad to hear that 17th Street isn't present in the event center any more -- it was a good place to get dinner when one of us made the shoot-offs.

At least this thread let me know why I don't like the pizza around the St. Louis area -- I didn't know that provel cheese existed, but the wikipedia description of it sounded familiar.

--Dan

6. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Active Member

I beg to differ. We were at the US Open earler this year and were extremely happy to see the 17th Street Grill GONE.

The food was ok but service seriously SUCKED! Rvery time we ate there we waited soooo long to ghet waited on and soooo long for our food, we could have cooked it ourselves. And for sure it would have been better.

As far as Joe Boccardi's goes, the food is fabulous.

I live in St. Louis and agree that provel is not pizza cheese. Most places, and I'm sure they will too, will replace the provel with mozzarella. All you have to do is ask!

7. saltman

saltman TS Member

Thanks for the heads up Dan, this will be our first trip for coaches and kids. Looking forward to the experience, Mike