1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Food in case of an emergency situation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Someone sent this to me, and I'm going to try it. You can get free food, too.

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I will order Lobster, Shrimp and Prime Rib. Will shot for food? LOL

3. recurvyarcher

We will hunt and fish, too, but I like this idea for days when you don't get something out there. Good hedge for rising food prices, too.

4. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Hopefully you are not bothered silly with aggresive an salesman trying to sign you up to become a distributor. Hopefully one can just stock up on some food and be left alone if one wishs.

I took a look under the OPPORTUNITY tab and read the OVERVIEW, TEAM, and LIFE CODES and it looks to me like the basic pyramid scheme.

5. loop02

loop02 Member

They want your credit card number to get your free food. Smells of scam to me. Long term storage food does not look like this. Oil oxidizes quickly. Look at backpacking meals. Food that will last 25 years is not just cooked and shot with some co2. I have looked into long term food storage. We are now starting home canning with nitrogen.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm stock piling Twinkies and HO HO's

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Canned food also lasts a surprisingly long time... much longer than the expiration date if keep in a cool, dry place. Heat and moisture (rusting of cans) are the problems. The cooler they are kept (but not freezing) the better the food will taste over the long run. And that's the main issue, food quality. Similar to MREs, which will degrade in taste long before they become unusable.

Check out your local army surplus store for 20mm/40mm ammo cans with good seals. You can pack a lot of food in them and the size makes them easy to handle. If thoroughly cleaned, they can also be used for bulk food storage, like rice and other grains. Just make sure the seal is good. This also makes them rodent-proof, unlike plastic buckets which can be gnawed through.

Don't forget that if you have to cook food you need a stove. I'd suggest having three stoves. One a standard propane (bottle but also have a tank adapter), a dual fuel (white gas and unleaded gasoline), and perhaps one of the little single burner backpacker stoves.

Also don't forget a water source. You should have at least one full weeks worth of water per person. You can use plastic water containers and treat the water with chlorine bleach. It will keep months in a cool, dark place. Don't let it freeze, especially if the container is not rated for freezing conditions.

And a first aid supply. Along with this, try to get a 90 day supply of prescriptions. Most insurance plans prefer this anyway, since it costs less in bulk. You won't be able to squirrel meds, but you could have a smaller ammo can that you could toss the containers into ('grab and go').

Don't forget your house may not be inhabitable. A tent or two will help. And you can't have too many tarps.

I'm setting up food storage on my jeep trailer that's mainly used for camping. We'll cycle through the food for camping and hunting. But it also makes a dandy emergency supply and can be used for 'bugging out'. I got tired of having to stage before hunting or camping by loading up the truck. Now everything but perishable food, fresh water, ice and clothing are in the trailer, ready to be hooked up and go. An alternative would be to have everything you need on dedicated shelving in the garage, so you can throw it into a pickup or SUV and go.

View attachment 236207

View attachment 236208 View attachment 236209

These are pics from various camping and hunting trips with the jeep trailer. I've since added a locking truck chest to it for the valuable items. Plans are to build a locking raised lid.

I've digressed a bit, but planning for an emergency goes beyond food.

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

This is definitely a pyramid scheme. They want you to prey on your family and friends so they throw the hook of "free" food.

Definitely something to stay away from...

cap

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just buy a few cases of spam.....

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Good job Brian, we have camped like you for 40 years and have a bunch of gear. Remember to teach the young ones to build a proper fire, firearm safety and use, sleep out in the dark of a forest, hike, find water etc. All my grandkids are fairly skilled in camping and a bonus for me as Grandpa(it's much fun). We need more Brian's around.

11. recurvyarcher

Martin gets a really great magazine that teaches you how to survive with minimal supplies. I forgot the name of it. But I have learned how to build shelter in just about any situation from it. It also has a lot of tips in it that remind me of how we lived when I was little, and my family got by with a lot less. I think it has Backwoods in the title. Maybe The Backwoods Man or something like that? When he comes home, I can post it.

Girl scouting for many years, and being a scout leader for both my sons' and daughter's groups helped to teach some things, too.

Brian, can you tell us the ratio of chlorine-to-water to use?

Keith, what are the procedures for nitro storage, or can you point us to a website?

12. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I went there and clicked to get some free food.

I put my name and email address in the boxes.

After waiting a good while for it to load I gave up and X ed out of it.

Will see if I get any emails. Ray

13. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Emergency water info from the EPA...

Also plenty of information on backpacker forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.