1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fond du Lac, Wi. Shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any shooters on here from Fondy? I plan on visiting there soon and am wondering about a place to shoot trap. Fond du Lac area if nothing else local.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Fox Valley just west of Oshkosh is probably the most active, link provided. I have shot many targets there.

Claytargetsonline.com lists several others in a 50 mile radius.

Midwestern Shooters Supply is just 13 miles south of Fondy on 41 and is one of the largest suppliers in the area.

HM

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Just shot at Forest Gun Club today. Green Bird Shoot for St. Patty's day. It is about ten miles east of Fond Du Lac on Hwy 23. Best targets in the area IMO. Great time also.

4. Dave P

I used to live there and still have family there but I haven't been back in years. As I recall there used to be a range out west Scott St. near the marsh and another out on East Johnson St. on a supper club grounds. I worked at Mercury Marine when it was at the old dairy farm by Intl. Paper during my college years.

5. flasch192

flasch192 Member

got a lot of options, fox valley , forest, eastshore, wescott, some others im sure im missing

6. Dave P

flasch, I guess I know where Westscott is but could you describe or give directions to these others please. Thanks, Dave

7. flasch192

flasch192 Member

eastshore and forest are out on hwy 23 east of town,Eastshore take 23 east too tower rd take a left on tower road about 10 miles till you see the club, forest take 23 east out of towm maybe 15 20 miles, watch for the sign by a machine shop turn left its up the road about 5 miles

8. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Dave P,
    Were you working there when they made these?
    Did you ever meet Carl Kiekhaefer?

9. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

1952 Crusier, First Mercury with a full gear shift.

10. halfmile

I met Carl Kiekhafer Jr in the early 70's. He came up to our shop in Appleton to buy a Husqvarna 400 motocross bike.

The bike was never used, rather it was purchsed for their R & D boyz who wanted to know how they got so much torque out of that engine. These bikew were stump pullers, without high RPM.

When they got it to the plant it was taken apart. I don't know what happened after that.

HM

11. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Carl liked Fast stuff and he made some screaming race outboards in the day.
    You have not lived until you have had a fist full of a 55H on a Hydro!

12. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

If you get the chance go up to Oshkosh and spend some time at the FAA museum and look at aviation history. You will not be disappointed.

Ed Fish
    Racine

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have a KG-4 Hurricane up in my garage attic that I want to restore. It was my Grandfathers. Many days as kids running around the lakes with my brother. They really pushed a 14 foot aluminum boat with two kids in it. Starting them was a real experience as they were always in gear, and the start throttle lever was at three quarters open in the start position. Made it tough to pull without standing up. That was real dangerous as there was no kill switch.

14. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

You can find most all the parts you will need on the web (www.oldmercs.com) is a good starting point.
    Make sure you know which magento (Phelon or Scintilla) you have as they used two diffrent types.
    Here is a link to the Antique Outboard Motor Club. Lots of info there.
    www.AOMCI.org

15. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

I goofed. It is the E.A.A. not the FAA.

Ed Fish

16. Dave P

twoatlow8: I worked there in the early 60's. Never saw Carl K. Last pic. looks like the old Super 10? Sold as a 10 HP but was actually a 16HP because Merc. always measured power off the prop whereas their competitors measured off the crank. That's how I remember it anyway.

17. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

My good friend Orv Bliske (deceased) was Carl's prop man and there is a 50 option named after him at Fox Valley Gun Club.

Rick

18. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I use to fly my homebuilt biplane to Oshkosh during the summer to the EAA Convention. Air races were held at Fond du Lac. That was in the 1970,s...

Oh well,

Doc

19. halfmile

Rick, I didn't know Orv was gone, sorry to hear.

HM

20. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

The first picture is a 1952 KG9 Rope start, They also made this model with a recoil. It was listed at 25HP but is closer to 35. This is a handfull on a 14' Tin boat!
    The second picture is a 1952 "Crusier" This is the first Mercury to have a Full Gear shift with a netural.
    These came out in late 1952 and were replaced by the Mark 20 in 1953.
    The Mark 20 was the same motor with a seperate gas tank.

There were 4 diffrent versions of the green tank 10 HP motors.
    KE7;"Lightning" 1947-49, KF7;"Super Ten" 1949-50 KG7;"Hurrcane" 1950-52 and the Crusier 1952. The racing versions were KG7H or KG7Q the "Q" motors were dealer converted to race motors simply by adding the racing style lower unit.
    The whole premise of "Stock Outboard racing" was to limit the cubic inches and have restrictions on the boat size. Carl Kiekhaefer was a master at getting the most out of his motors. And when another manfucturer was able to beat him he found a way to get them disqulified!
    Any racing motor is rare as most were used hard and then sold as parts.

Iron Fist is a book about Carl K. it is a very good read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

forest gun club fond du lac

what time do shooters suply colse in foundulack wi