1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Folow up to "Remington 870 Wingmaster POI need hel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RickA, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickA

RickA Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Folow up to

Ok I took some of the advise to go get some hard facts about the POI on my 870 Wingmaster and this is what I came up with.
    First I set up a target at 13yds and drew a circle in the center of it. I fired 3 consecutive shots from a rest at the center of the target with my bead in the center of the circle I had drawn.
    I bisected the circle and measured that I was off center by 1"high and 3 inches left.
    I repeated this procedure 2 more times with only one shot per because I felt that I had gotten a pretty good sampling and discovered that on the next 2 shots from rest that I was exactly 2 1/2" high and 2 1/2" left on both shots. So long story short 3 papers and I'm high and left on all of them.
    So I guess my question is where do I go from here to get the gun shooting where I'm pointing.
    I actually shot some trap after I was done patterning at the club and although I can attribute my first score on the 16's to horrific sun issues and not being able to see (I shot 18/25) I felt my second score was closer to my ability (I shot 20) I then proceeded to shoot from the 23yrd line and shot a 21.
    By the way my 870 is a 1967 model with a fixed full choke and a plain barrel.
    Just a side note barrel bending and trees are out, sorry but that aint for me, now a gunsmith can if thats needed but I wont attempt it. LOL I'm a chicken LOL
    Thanks for your help
  2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Folow up to

I take it that your gun doesn't have an adjustable comb? If not, you need to shim it over a bit and this is very easy. The reason for shimming it is to get the pattern centered. You need the stock shimmed a little to the right.

1) Remove stock and metal spacer between stock and reciever.

2) Use spacer as a templet and make about 3 or 4 cardboard shims (shell boxes work wonderful for this)

3) Add 1 or 2 complete shims and 1 folded over in between spacer and reciever. Make sure to install the folded over one on the left side. (The fold should be on the vertical)

4) Reinstall stock and tighten the stock bolt to proper torque. Inspect The joint where the stock meets the reciever to make sure there is no contact. If the reciever and wood is riding directly together on the edge you could split your stock. Adjust shims as needed to get the cast that you desire. You can also shim it up a bit to raise your POI.

This is a very easy and cheap way to get a better fit. I've done this on several guns and it works very well.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Folow up to

Rick, sometimes it is best to let a few others shoot your gun. Also more shots at 13y are required. First off I think you really need to determine if it is the barrel to bead alignment is off or is it you. I thought my barrels on my XT where not true.

1. how stable was your rest? I ended up at the riffle range to ask the help of the bench shooting riffle guys. Their benches and gun vise/mounts where very steady. This ruled out the off barrels quite quickly. They also had some bore lasers and such which may or may not have helped. A 2nd or 3 gunner is a plus.
    2. I use the rolls of brown paper from home depot/lowes 30" wide by 25' just roll out onto a suitable frame and staple to it. Draw several crosses I can get 9 in the 30X30 paper. align your beads to the center of the crosses. You should see better where your shot is going.
    3. Now the fun begins, once you think you know where your gun shoots. The next is where you shoot your gun. You may want to get adjustable comb?
    </center> Here is what I used. you can get many crosses on this set up. The pictures shown. When I was playing around with comb adjustment. I wanted a higher shooting gun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is the poi of remington 870