1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Follow Up Thread BT100 Issue

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DustyOne60, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

I previously posted an issue with my BT100 where it only ejects and never extracts. Thanks for all who posted suggestion there.

It still is an issue, however there may be something else that contributes to the problem.

The gun is seems fairly hard to open after it has been shot. I guess it is sort of the "cocking" procedure. It takes a fair amount of strength to open it completely with one hand on the stock and one on the forearm, which complicates the catching of the fired shell. After 200 of these it can be a lot of work.

All of the bearing surfaces are okay and move freely. For instance when the gun is loaded and ready to be fired, it opens smooth and without much effort.

Question: "Could there be another spring issue which makes this issue complicated?"

I called Browning, they said all BT100 support has expired and sent me to the new vendor who had no clue other than to have me ship the gun to them for evaluation. I have no problem paying for a competent gunsmith to fix this issue, IF it required a gunsmith rather than a simple fix.

Thanks in advance, Dusty

hulll

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Hi Dusty,

I hope the day never comes when I have to rely on Browning for any service.

Hope you can find a simple way to get to the bottom of this.

I do know that when I switched to Extract FROM Eject, my BT-100 opened a whole lot easier for some reason...I am under the impression that there is some spring pressure that needs to build up to "Eject" the shells, and that is why it seemed to take more energy to open and cock the gun on Eject...

Believe me, I am NO gunsmith...I'm just going by my insticts on this assumption...Just seems to make sense to me....

Dave in South Carolina

3. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

Thanks Dave. I just want an idea of what I am getting in to before I ship my BT off to a gunsmith.

Dusty

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Try this - hammer down (dry fire) - take forearm off, remove the bbl - remove trigger group and rotate the button to the extract position. (indented side down I believe) - put the gun back together - then open and close the action - should be on extract.

5. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I have had three BT 100's. Two were NIB. I felt that all three took too much pressure to open, as you describe. Although extract/eject is selectable I have never attempted to change from eject. I have noticed that most of the opening pressure required seems to be in cocking the hammer spring(s). If I dry fire the gun and attempt to open a lot of pressure is required. If I open a second tome without firing opening pressure is reduced. Marc

6. DustyOne60

DustyOne60 Active Member

Thanks fellows. I will try it all and let you know.

Cheers, Dusty

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought a stainless BT100 that was new in box. It opened very hard until I shot it a bunch, then it got better but never opened easily

8. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Dusty,

I do not have a BT100 but on my BT99 someone made it so it was extract only. I took the fore arm apart and installed a heavier spring in it to make it eject.
    Could you do the reverse and put in a lighter spring in yours to make it do what you want. I removed the three screws that hold the metal to the wood and the long bolt thru the end of the forearm to get to the spring. It took all of about 10 minutes to do not counting the time it took to find another spring. Ace hardware has a very good slection of springs to chose from. Just a thought
    about anotherway to get it done. Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt100 forearm bolt adjustment

bt 100 forearm comes off