1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Follow Up: Stolen Truck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chango2, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thought I'd give some follow up re. theft of my Duramax Chevy 3/4 ton last March 16. I hope this information may be of help to others.

1. Insurance company and On Star figured no chance of recovery after three days, no On Star signal etc.

2. Thieves knew how to disconnect On Star. On Star not as "powerful" as advertising suggests.

3. Last Thursday, police found the truck. I saw it Friday. None the worse for wear, camper shell and all contents in bed area gone...including lots of tools and all shooting accessories in toolboxes. Years of "stuff" purchased and collected for various guns.

4. No guns lost.

5. Truck remarkably clean, no new scratches, dents, etc. I kept truck up nicely, and outside of fingerprinting dust, truck looked clean. People knew how to drive a larger pickup.

6. Truck was taken without forced entry of any kind. I have later been told that a master pass key (chip required) was likely used.

7. A locked on trailer hitch of mine had been removed and one with a larger hitch ball installed. No damage done when lock picked.

8. Police told me stolen plates found in truck. Truck driven about 400 miles; was filmed by security cameras pulling down a chainlink fence and at other times, stealing a travel trailer, and, I believe towing a flatbed trailer. Was observed helping to break into a high end shop to steal a very valuable '57 Chevy convertable, very restored, etc., to likely be sold and shipped overseas. Plates for that '57 Chevy found in my truck.

9. Truck reported as an SUV pulling down the fence; the camper shell fooled people. Truck is a 4x4 Duramax.

10. A rash of these types of bulglaries have occured in my area, two Camaros, new, taken from a local dealer's lot and some Toyotas from a dealer also stolen.

11. Car abandoned near where I live, within two miles, with original plates re-attached.

12. Bottom lines: a. On Star not enough, early warning Lo-Jack likely the best. b. "Crooks" etc. may find how to do stuff and steal stuff through dealerships employment. I suspect workers on bottom rung of employment, e.g., janitorial services, PDI people, etc. that are just plain crooked, but fairly smart, "want to be" mechanics, etc.

13. And I am glad that the insurance recovered a good truck, keeps our rates from not totally tanking when losses are minimized.

14. On Star gave up looking for truck after 3 days.

15. Bought a 2012 2500 SLT GMC D'Max 4x4. Settlement good, money outlay to buy a 2012 bad.

Time to move on with travel and shooting; hope this is at least mildly informative about things.

(OH, AND BEST OF ALL, TWO PEOPLE IN CUSTODY ACCORDING TO POLICE!!! GOOD, AND A THIRD IS MISSING. THERE WAS A BUSINESS CARD WITH PHONE NUMBERS ONLY AND SERVICES OFFERED/PRICES PAID FOR JUNK CARS. PICTURE OF A FLATBED TRUCK VEHICLE TRANSPORTER (DRAWING) ON THE CARD. CARD IN SPANISH. POLICE INTERSTED IN THAT; I FOUND THE CARD IN THE CAB OF THE TRUCK AT THE YARD WHEN PICKED UP SOME POSSESSIONS!)

Good bye old truck, and thanks for the memories.

...David

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Where did this occur? Just wonderin'

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Glad everything work out, but that's one thing I don't worry about. I have the trunk monkey installed in my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good cover story there David......now, let's talk money on that '57. Are you about to sell it? I might be interested.....LOL

<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>

I'm also glad things worked out somewhat good for you. I'm sure you learned quite a few lessons from this unfortunate happening.

5. RayReys

RayReys Member

Good to hear all's well and the bad guys got caught

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

In a big way, I wonder about this whole deal. The owner of the '57 Chevy, a red convertible, that looked good in a picture, with continental kit, etc., claimed car was allegedly worth 150 thousand according to what the police told me. I wonder about that...it could have been a cloned, non numbers-matching car, poorly restored, anything from a concours winner to a fair and rusty street daily driver. Therefore, anything re.the crookedness is possible...or stolen to be shipped overseas to those less sophisticated etc.

If car is THAT perfect, that is a 150K car, well, hardly smart to move it in a public specialized auction. (Barrett-Jackson auctions would surely not be wise!) Was the '57 owner in on the whole deal, among maybe some others?

A close friend of ours has restored Chevy's for years; (In greater Portland, Oregon) and his cars are perfect as perfect can be (Can you say numbers matching concours '57 F.I. 283 four speed Nomad?, he has two...) and among that circuit, well, cars just can't be sold at auction and be unknown. Maybe the Chevy wouldn't turn a profit in the States, but would if moved under most common radar for that kind of item.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Barfin, that's a great story. I thought you would have had to have known that LoJack was in your vehicle and tell LoJack to activate it, or do police agencies have a huge data base about that?

By the way, my truck was located passively; police were not looking for it specifically, just routine driving in a neighborhood with a squad car equipped with new technology that reads license plates and automatically identifies those that come up stolen.

One problem in So-Cal: Punishment is light, relatively, for auto theft. Too many illegals in the area. Beautiful weather here, too many low-lifes. Time to move. Can't easily have anything nice in the city for long.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm all for putting a pound of Bullseye under the seat rigged to a cellphone...that way when they steal your truck you can make a call and reach out and touch someone really hard...then call the insurance co.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.