1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Follow up on what is fun varmint rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

First of all, I would like to thank everone that posted info about their weapon of choice. Since I had not thought about buying a rifle for about 50 years it was most helpful. I wanted to let you know what I have concluded. I have always gone for the best I can afford so I found a Trijicon 2.5 x10 scope brand new for under 500.00. After doing my research ,I just could not pass that up. I have always had variable scopes a this seemed to be a super deal. Now for the rifle it will be some manufacture of a 5.56. Leaning towards a COLT but not many of the fav guns mentioned Colt but reading on the web they are a fine weapon. Getting the deal on the scope takes the pressure off for awhile. It will give me time to digest more possibilites. BTW the Colt would be a matched target rifle. I am still reading a lot but I know I had a super choice on the scope and wanted to let you guys know what happened.

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

From what I know about Colt ARs is that their some difference in the pins they used. Something about big versus small. In any case, I would recommend doing some research in to the Colt models versus others like DPMS or RRA.

PS - I just built an AR out of a RRA lower and a White Oak Precision upper and it looks amazing, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

3. rjstubbl

rjstubbl Member

I just bought a RRA Coyote with the 20" barrel. It will shoot almost single hole groups at 100 yards with horady 55gr v-max's. My dad has a colt match AR. It shoots well, but not as good as the RRA. After shooting both of them. I would say the RRA is the way to go and you can get a RRA coyote for $1050 brand new.

Here is a picture of my last 3 shot group.
    [​IMG]

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

you're a bit high and to the left :)

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ditto for my results with my Rock River Varmint w 20" stainless barrel and match trigger. Never imagined a semiauto being that accurate. My gun likes multiple types of ammo too.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Boy, you guys hunt varmints a lot differently than we do here in Pennsylvania. For as long as I've been hunting - 50 years - the PA Game Commission has required all rifles to be manually operated. So hereabouts, a "varmint rifle" is a heavy-barreled bolt-action chambered in anything from 22LR to .25-06 and we don't use the magazine - we load one missle at a time and make it count.

I have several Model 700 varmint rifles in .22-250 and 6mm but my favorite is a Model 700 action with a 27" stainless fluted #5A contour McGowen barrel in .243 Ackley Improved with a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x 40mm A.O. target scope. It will put five 65-grain Bergers into .356" at 100 yards and pretty much, if you can see 'em, you can hit 'em.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.