1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Follow up on Felony prosecutions for CCW

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/crime/2012/01/21/candiotti-state-gun-law.cnn

Same deal- it doesnt matter what this former Marine is given as punishment- if he is prosecuted on this charge- he will be a convicted felon even if he never spends another day in jail- you can also bet his legal fees in NYC will be in the thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars

Dont believe people when they tell you that you can use your CCW in other jurisdictions- ultimately it is on you

Regards from Iowa

Gene

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The marine has an Indiana Personal Protection Permit. The main reason our neighboring state of Ohio does not honor the IN. permit is the fact you don't have to take any firearm or handgun classes to get a permit. In Ohio you do.

If he would have taken classes he would have known what states are reciprocal.
    The guy at the end of the video is 100% correct, if you carry a handgun, it's your responsibility to know the laws. As an Indiana resident I'm not advocating handgun classes to get a permit, but clearly some people need them, and I understand why Ohio doesn't honor the permit.

It's hard for me to believe with all the information on the internet, you would carry a gun into NYC. If he is convicted of a handgun felony in NY, his gun rights are bye-bye. He must live under a rock.

I wonder how he got to NY from Indiana? Probably drove through the whole state of Ohio with an illegal gun. Jeez.

Wayne

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

"if he is prosecuted on this charge- he will be a convicted felon"

REALLY GENE??

I thought some folks were prosecuted and found not guilty of a crime. Why don't we skip the trial, say we're going to prosecute and lock the prosecutee up for ever and skip the trial altogether? Would save a lot of money and we wouldn't need so many lawyers. You should know better!!!

How did that Minnesota case come out for you couselor??

I'm starting to enjoy your twisted logic and distortion of facts. I used to think you were sick, now I just laugh every time I read one of your posts.

Bob

4. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

The only people that can carry in NYC and not go to prison are the gang bangers, you don't hear of them having problems like this or am I being cynical?

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

unfortunate, but, true. You need to know. God sakes! it's NEW YORK CITY! Sullivan Act, etc. You can't assume anything.

Just hope his self incrimination by asking where to put it buys some leniency...

6. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Where would I lock my gun up in NYC, I can carry in all 50 states and US Territories AND DC? HR218-The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act. If they do not have a place to lock it up, yet they prevent you from entering premises, I guess that means if I want to see the sights in NYC (which I do not)I am prevented from doing so because I am LEGALLY armed, is pure BULSH**

Oscar

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Oscar, if you want to see the 'sites' in NYC, you best not let the LE know your carryin' or they'll show you their 'sights'

8. g7777777

You cant have it- you dont have that exemption in NYC

In fact- famous case- a corrections officer was prosecuted and fired for carrying a firearm

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I lived on Long Island for many years and held a carry permit out of Suffolk County. Being from there, I always knew it was illegal to carry in the city of NY. In those years, reprocicity was not even a word. So I also knew that my permit was only valid in the state of NY. It would have been very stupid of me to show up in Mass, Conn, or NJ with a gun in my pocket. Now that many states have gone with "shall issue" laws, many more folks carry guns. Sadly, some of these people do not think or read or listen. Bloomberg and his prosecuters are going to go after these honest citizens even though they are only guilty of being ignorant. They will end up broke and convicted felons to boot. It is important to get behind the national concealed carry law. It is also important to defeat Obama before he can appoint more anti-gun judges.

10. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Gene,

I can have it, researched it already. Corretions officers do not qualify as certfied police officers/retirees, as they have never had powers of arrest. HR-218 created National Carry for Law Enforcement Officers and Retirees that had at least 15 yrs of Credible service before retirement as long as the retirement was not for medical reasons related to mental health.

That being said, if it is a national monument, they can prevent you from entering or if it is a State Building. Most places have lock boxes for visiting officers to lock their guns up (Court Houses )for example.

Both individuals in the previous cases were in the wrong by carrying in NYC. They should have known they were in violation, it falls squarely on their shoulders to know the laws.

DC has even more draconian gun laws than NYC, but I never go there without my
    Glock 27. The only time I had a problem, I only had to show my Retired ID with my qualification certification from my department, and I was good to go.

Oscar

11. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

"I wonder how he got to NY from Indiana? Probably drove through the whole state of Ohio with an illegal gun."

No, his Indiana Permit let him drive through Ohio on his way to Pennsylvania if he complied with FOPA. His Indiana permit let him carry in Pennsylvania.

H became a felon when he probably went into NJ and again when he went into New York City.

Too bad he was not on his way to Vermont.

"http://www.usacarry.com/forums/indiana-discussion-firearm-news/1390-indiana-pa-now-reciprocal-ccw.html"

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Gary - You are in favor of the Federal Government telling the states how to run their CCW rules? Now how dumb is that? Think ahead for once. You want the Obama administration setting nation's CCW rules? I can see the wailing and teeth gnashing here here you you wake up and find out Obama just took your CCWs from you. But I guess you can continue dreaming that if GOP nominates a right-winger that the moderates and independents will vote for him. They won't, and Obama will be back.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Liberals love all these rules.

Only free people can own weapons.

HM

14. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

skeets crawl back under your bridge, now, where was "Whites Only" gun club?????

Oscar

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not sure if all of you are aware but there is a booklet titled 'Travelers guide to the firearms laws of the fifty states'. I posted a link to Amazon and there are a couple for sale as low as $4.30. Mike.

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

17. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

The book was published in 2004.Has it been updated? Laws change.

18. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Not sure you would have to write to the publisher. Mine is a 2002 copy. When I first got it I was impressed with the info. Mike.

19. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

That info is outdated. Just in Texas alone there have been changes.

GneJ

20. g7777777

Trapshooting Hipi- right on --- I have told Barrel Bulger many times on these forums that his information is wrong and he should not advise people to look at that junk.

Barrel bulger is set on giving people the wrong information and acting like an expert.

It is the individuals responsibility to understand the law or seek out an attorney in the locale in which they intend to travel. A mistake can not only land you in jail. It could make you a felon or even worse, it could lead to a confrontation with law enforcement that would end badly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.