1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

follow-up on blade819

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Ross, Oct 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Reading blade819 thread on his mustang got me thinking (I know that's bad) has anybody had any good results with these "chips and or re-programers" for Ford trucks???? We have a 2004 Ford 450 series with the V10 (it's a 28 ft. motorhome)that gets 8mpg (owieeee-owieee makes my wallet cringe every time we "try to" pass a gas station) and OD is just about worthless as it downshifts at the smallest hills or any wind of any consequence. Thanks Ross Puls
  2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)

First off, the "chips" are a thing of the past. There was a time when you could change a chip in the vehicles computer programmed with a different tune and get more performance. The computer was often located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. Now days the way it's done is a programmer.

I have a Superchips Cortex programmer on my gas truck. While move is not a Ford the same outfit and many others make one for your vehicle.

The trucks that get the most benefit are diesels. They can change the fuel pressure and such on the fly and add HP and Torque gains of amazing amounts like 150 HP with the push of a button.

Gas vehicles on the other hand are usually more in the gain area of 15-40 HP and similar torque. My truck happens to gain 35 HP and 22 ft pounds of torque running 91 or better octane with the high performance tune. There are several levels of tunes in the programmer. The gas models require the vehicle be parked and you simply plug the programmer to the diagnostic terminal located under the dash. It's the same terminal the repair garage uses to access the vehicles computer. The programmer stores your vehicles factory stock tune and replaces it with the tune you choose. The vehicle can always and easily be returned to 100% stock and leaves no footprint on the computer. Various other options like transmission shift points, rev limiter, top speed limit, etc. etc. can also be adjusted with the same programmer. Mine will also read and clear any trouble codes in the vehicles system. The programmer can be upgraded as they come up with new times for your vehicle for free by simply going to the website, hooking the programmer to the computer with the supplied cord and downloading the new tunes. I have done this several times as they had additions. The latest was tune was a fuel saver. However, I wasn't impressed with it as it literally cut the balls on the truck. I bought the programmer for power gains and it was quite noticeable. There is a tow program that optimizes towing by adjusting the shift points as well as adds power. I haven't used it on mine.
  3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Matt is right. A tuner is the way to go today. Usually the Manufacturer will throw in 3 or more tune ups. On mine I'll get 87 octane P (peformance) 87 octane S(street) and 97 octane P (performance). It seems like American Muscle is the place to go offering many packages. On their V6 Mustang Project Car I believe they put on a air package and tuned it to 87 P and got 15 more hp and 25 lbs more torque.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.