1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Folding portable reloading bench ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by certifiable, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. certifiable

certifiable TS Member

I will be retiring the end of the year and hope to travel with a motorhome to various shoots around the country to see the sights. Plan on reloading along the way as I enjoy doing it. Anybody know of any plans to build one or better yet, where to buy one? Assuming they exist. Will probably buy components along the way as necessary. Thanks.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What is wrong with the dinette table in the MH?

Get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood and mount the reloader to it with screws and wing nuts (easier to disassemble). Put a non-slip on the bottom of the plywood so it doesn't slide around when loading. You can buy the non-slip at any woodwoking supply store, or at a MH supply store. (Ask for shelf and cabinet non-slip)

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

My first portable reloading setup was based on a Black & Decker Workmate. I clamped plywood to the top and mounted my presses to the plywood.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

The Black and Decker workmate works great. Hersel makes a folding stand that converts a skill saw to a table saw. I didn't like it for a saw table, but it was a handy reloading and gun cleaning stand for years. Good Luck

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

For portable purposes, I would suggest looking at the MEC electric unit (automate originally). No bench required, lightweight unit in terms of other reloaders, and you could sit it on your kitchen table at turn out first class reloads.

Probably not the low cost solution, but certainly an eloquent one for travel.

6. OregonDon

OregonDon TS Member

Congratulations on your retirement, enjoy. Don

7. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Congrats on your having been a productive citizen long enough to enjoy the rewards and I hope they are long and full! About 100 years ago I started reloading and an old gunsmith told me what to do. I still have and used the setup at times. Go to the hardware and get two galvanized wall flanges about 2", have then cut and thread a piece of pipe the height that will make you comfortable handling the loader while sitting in what ever chair (probably 28 to 30") you would like to use. Cut a piece of 1x12 lumber about 2 1/2 ft long. Screw one flange on one end of the board and screw that other flange to the other end of the pipe and bolt the press to it. Simply screw by hand the pipe in the board flange and when loading put your foot on the board. I have loaded 100's of thousand of shells like this. You won't believe how sturdy it is. The neat thing is that for storage, screw the pipe off the base and stand both in the corner of the closet. Of course you may want to glue a piece of scrap carpet to the bottom of the board sso as not to scratch the nice ladys floor.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Have used the Black and Decker Workmate. It works very well.

Like the idea that Jim has, it would be a little more compact and could be built to the exact height you want. Might be a little top heavy, you would have to be carefull with it. Tony

9. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

This one looks interesting for metalic reloading.

tom

10. certifiable

certifiable TS Member

Thanks for the help guys. Going to look into the "workmate". Found the website Tom posted and that cinched it.

11. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

The workate is GREAT - I have two. I mounted two loaders on each of two pieces of plywood with a 2X4 bolted to the bottom to clamp into the vise of the workmate. I can switch loaders by just turning the plywood around. I have a place where I can leave them setup, but if I need extra floor space, I can break them down quickly.

The picture in the link is a great idea.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

black and decker workmate reloading stand

fold away reloading bench

fold up reloading bench

foldable reloading bench

folding reloading table
portable reloading stand

work mate reloading table plans

workmate reloading