1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Folded Wad Petal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by illiniphil, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

When reloading, occasionally, but not very often I have a wad petal that gets folded over into the hull with the shot on top of it. In thinking about how this would change the pattern/shot string was wondering whether anyone had ever patterned a reloaded shell with a folded petal and what the outcome was. If not, whats everyone thoughts on how much this predicament changes the pattern.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I stop and fix it.

HM

3. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

I put my wads in a dryer for ten minutes or until they get warm NOT hot it brings them back to the factory manufacturing, and they load a lot better. PK.

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I'd suggest you put a couple aside and go to the trap range and shoot them at clay birds. I have found they arn't worth worring about. Post-2

5. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

next time you're at the dentist, ask them for an old pick - like they use to scrape the plack (plaque?) off your teeth with.

My dentist gave me an old bent one, and you can snake it right into the case and pull the offending petal right up. Doesn't harldy slow me down at all.

Doesn't cost anything, either...

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

illiniphil- It occasionally happens to all of us. We catch some of them but I suspect we have shot shells with one petal folded. You have asked a good question that would not be difficult to answer if someone had the time. Ten good shells, 10 shells with folded petals and 20 sheets of pattern paper would be required. I can easily teach anyone to load the 10 shells with folded petals.

Pat Ireland

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Buy a MEC. @:)!!!

Regards

W&W

8. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Joe, I don't know how old your 366 was...but I have 3 of them, and the shot drop tubes on mine don't come within a quarter inch of the wad.

There's no way that the shot drop tube on my loaders is folding any petals down. The wad seater...that's another story. I seem to fold down about 2 per hundred.

but the dentist pick pops em right back up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.