1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Fogging Lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870shooter, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870shooter

870shooter Member

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good products to help or eliminate shooting glasses lense fogging. I was shooting in a light rain and had a terrible time with my lenses fogging up. Any thoughts? Other than don't in the rain.

2. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

I'm having issues as well with fall coming and lower temps in the evenings when shooting under lights. I was thinking about trying coating my lenses with RainX. Another idea I had was get some of the industrial stuff that scuba divers use on their goggles.

3. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

I put Rain-X inside my dive mask ONCE. It's an alcohol. Never again.

"Cat Crap" (I get mine from "Campmor") makes a spray-on anti-fog that works great.

They also have a paste that comes in a little plastic container but the summer heat will melt it in your shooting bag.

Mike

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

what about a simple solution of vinegar and water?!

Jay

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I just hate RainX. It leaves a film on glass that you cannot get rid of, and smears when you run your wipers in the rain. When you really need to see, you can't because of the damn stuff. I'm surprised they have not been sued over the problem. They even put it in washer fluid now.

Go to Walgreens for the anti fog spray for your glasses. It works great.

6. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Rain-X was developed originally for use on aircraft windows. It was never really intended for use on ground vehicles; that was a brain-fart of Quaker State Oil's marketing dept.

Used on aircraft, Rain-X works perfectly because it is subjected to only pure rainwater. Used on cars etc. it picks up the oil and grease from the road spray, and those oils stick very well to the compounds Rain-X is made of. Since these oils don't evaporate or wash off, they remain in place to smear badly.

The best way to remove contaminated Rain-X from a car windshield is to use a silicone stripper such as "No-Touch Auto Glass Stripper" from NAPA.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

I still recommend Cat Crap spray for shooting glasses.

Mike

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

From personal use: Rain X, IF applied properly, works excellent on automotive windshields. I can see PERFECTLY without the wipers in light/misty rain. Water just beads up and jumps off the window, leaving a mostly dry looking window!

As unsingle posted: try some anti fog spray.

8. 870shooter

870shooter Member

Mike thanks, I'll try some catcrap, thanks all for your comments

9. JON R THOMPSON

JON R THOMPSON TS Member

870 Shooter
    Contact Decot (shooting glass's) for there lens cleaner + anti-fog. I have used it for the last 3 years with ZERO FOGGING. I have been wearing glass's for 50 years and this is the best I have found.

JT

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm sure that most of you shoot in a baseball style cap.

Try tipping it back a little bit...heat from your eyes is likely what's fogging the glasses up.

Tipping your cap back will let the heat rise up, instead of trapping it under the bill.

It occasionally happens to me, that usually does it.

12. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

MKillian - thanks, I didn't know that. I will try the window cleaner.

13. 870shooter

870shooter Member

J T thanks, I will check that one out as well

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Air circulation around the lenses will eliminate fogging. Side blinders, bills on caps pulled down and full face cheeks all prevent proper circulation.

Eric

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Saliva, was always used on the inside of diving masks. There is sprays out there to use, but they also seem to be like Rain-X. I also heard, but have not tried, Dawn dish soap mixed with water and dried with a micro fiber towelette. Jon

16. JON R THOMPSON

JON R THOMPSON TS Member

870 Shooter,
    Don't waste your time with the soaps, Rain-x or anything else. Contact Decot and don't use anything close to your eyes that has not been tested for glass's and eye safety.

JT

17. ismah

ismah Member

Put some rubber spacers on your nose rests, shave your eyebrows. You need ventilation.

18. jamie65

jamie65 Member

i have a lens fogging problem due to trapped heat and poor ventalation from wearing side shields. i greatly reduced the problem by drilling 12- 1/4 inch holes in my side shields,now all my shields are pre drilled before they go into my shooting bag.

19. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Some diver friends I know use plain old aerosol shaving foam on the inside of their masks to reduce fogging... more hygenic and more effective than saliva. It works because shaving foam (not gel) contains both lanolin (a wax) and glycerin (an oil) either/both of which are main ingredients in many anti-fog products.

Mike

20. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Hopefully I'm not repeating someone else but I have used lemon Pledge on glasses and that seemed to do the trick for me. Try it and if it doesn't work for you then used it on your coffee table. BT-100dc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.