1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

foderal primer?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dale t, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale t

dale t TS Member

What is the difference between a foderal 209 and 209a besides the A
    Thank you for your help
    Dale t

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

hotter back down charge by 5%,P.S. do not use in a Perazzi will close up firing pin hole in time....vdt

3. dale t

dale t TS Member

VDT
    So when I use the new data I should load up 5%. I have 5000 from way back so must use them.
    Dale T

4. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

The Federal 209A is probably the hottest primer out there. If anythink, I would use LESS powder unless you have a recipe that specifically calls for it.

What kind of components are you using?

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had great luck with the 209A since it came out. I have recently swapped over to the Rio which is not available in all areas. Hot primers give good cold weather performance, and work well with hard to ignite powders. They generally take less powder to deliver the same velocities as milder primers, which often give cold weather performance problems.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I am done with Fed 209A's, they do not seat flush in Remington STS or Nitro's. I had some problems last week with them not seating, to the point where they caught on the reloader (9000G)and would not index after the shell had been primed. Even the ones that seated, when you run your finger across, you can feel the lip. When loaded in a AA, there is no problem. Win 209's no problem. anyone else have this issue? FYI, I also readjusted the seating etc. made no difference. I even extracted (carefully) the "bad" primers and they went right into the AA's without a problem.

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I have never used anything else but 209A and have never had a problem ???

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

dale T, I'd be interested in trading you 2000 Fed 209A's for 2000 of your 209 or any brand you prefer. Let me know if interested.

9. washandwear

washandwear Member

Frank C.

Have had the same problem using 209A in STS hull. Don't know why but happens every time I load STSs although not every hull but fequently enough to be a pain.

10. drunk_again

drunk_again TS Member

they are foder.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've loaded nothing but Federal 209As in STS hulls for several years. Yes, I suppose you can feel a very slightly "proud" fit in the shell, but it's never caused any problems with my 9000GN or any of the many guns in which those shells have been used.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.