1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Focusing on singles targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Raymobolt, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

Hey guys,
    Does anybody else have trouble with staying focused on singles targets? My doubles scores are fine(my favorite game) and my handicap scores are on par with my long term goals. The issue is I usually have one pitiful trap, and then seem to get my head out of my a** and do well for the rest o the event? Any ideas?
    Raymo

2. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Practice good habits, correct the bad ones.

Harry

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What is the correct way to shoot a singles target? When you can answer that question you will accomplish your goal. HMB

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Singles is a "marathon" event. Maintaining concentration bird after bird is what separates Harlan and Leo from, well, me :)

-Gary

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have found that if you do not watch every target, you concentrate a little more on yours. Takes a little getting used to, but it is not so draining on your mind. When the shooter prior to you calls, watch the target then concentrate and follow through. I will not even watch the prior persons, but it is a start. Jon

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Look at singles as a handicap warm-up. Try to center (smoke) each target as quickly and smoothly as possible in preparation for the handicap event.

You are better off approaching singles with a good attitude. A poor or lackadaisical attitude will be reflected in your score.

Use singles to work on your mental game.

7. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

Not to say I have a lazy attitude going into singles but I think part of my issue is that I find it so mentally draining compared to the other events. I've listened to music, everything from classical to country to jazz everything I can do to keep myself entertained. The thing is I find them tiresome. The event is what kills my all around and high over all scores typically. I've even entered the grand American with a C-27-AA classification once or twice.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and comments to all.

8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

don't make work out of play. 16's should be easy, the secret is to keep from missing one. You need to be alert and intent but not be on pins and needles. Develope good habits to stay relaxed and focused.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Get agressive, make minor changes in what you are currently doing such that you are more into the game. This could be something like moving the gun more agressively or calling more agressively. You want your mind to focus on turning the target into an ink spot - not just breaking it. Arrrgh ..

10. bigben

bigben Active Member

Raymo, first and foremost congrats on your doubles and handicap, now to your problem, it may be a simple fix, I don't know what you shoot for equipment and shells on your 16's, if you are not using your doubles gun and ammo for 16's I would heartily advise doing so, use your top tighter barrel and let your skills do the rest! A very high percentage of accomplished shooters and many All-Americans use this very same method, let me know how it works for you. incinerate em!

11. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

I typically shoot an STS light 8 or equivalent for singles, and a beretta 682 combo. Tried shooting the doubles barrel for the singles event but I find it hard to justify the weight of another barrel for the whole event even if they are balanced properly. As far as a tighter or looser barrel I find it a waste of time to change chokes all day long in fear of forgetting and shooting a more open choke for a handicap event, so I shoot full for all events including both shots on doubles.
    Ray Stabinski
    Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.