1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FN 5.7x28 Pistol

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by T/C, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T/C

T/C TS Member

Your feed back is most welcome. Do you own one, have you shot one, how do you like it? Is this a shortened .223 in a handgun? Seems no gun stores in MD know much about it. The few reports I have been able to find say it is one flat shooter of a handgun. Ammo seems pretty high in price. Anyone handload for it? Thanks in advance, T.

2. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have an FN pistol and the PS 90 carbine in the cartridge. The round is not a shortened .223, per se but rather a new cartridge using the same bullet diameter in lighter bullet weight. It uses the same shell holder as the 25 acp if that gives you an idea of the diameter of the round. A pretty potent little cartridge when you consider the SS195 load shoots a 28 grain hollow point bullet at a little over 2100 feet per second. Recoil is vitually non existent. Fun little gun to shoot.

3. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I have one & have shot it, with great success., I am fortunate enough to have gotten alot of SS-192 & ss-190 ammo, it is extremely accurate to say the least. It is not a plinker. It has almost no recoil & you don't have to worry about keeping any or all shots on target, so with its large magazine, you have the equivalent of a pocket assault rifle. I don't consider it a carry gun. It is a great house or car gun & with the current use of body armor & if you have the ability to get the "hot" ammo you can defeat anyone----Phil

4. T/C

T/C TS Member

I saw that Hornady is loading a 40gr. V-max bullet for it. Some repors said it would blow a hole as large as your fist in a gel block and not exit. It peaked my interest. T.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28mm<br>
    <br>
    I wondered about the FN 5.7x28 for handgunning coyotes. But the high velocity starts dropping off very quickly as bullet weight is increased. Particularly with the 40 and 55 grainers.<br>
    <br>
    I chose instead to go with the Kel-Tec PLR-16. It's chambered in .223, and even with the short 9" barrel dropping the muzzle velocity from 3250 fps to 2600 fps (55 grain M193) it still exceeds a .22 Hornet rifle with a 55 gr bullet by 200 fps.<br>
    <br>
    It totally outclasses the FN 5.7 pistol, though at the expense of size, weight and muzzle blast.<br>
    <br>
    At best, the FN 5.7 is a very short range coyote handgun, and I don't see anything it can do that a more conventional handgun, that more conventional centerfire handguns can't do. For small varmints, though, it might work well, as long as it can maintain accuracy.<br>
    <br>
    For a defense handgun, I'd rather have something throwing more mass with a larger diameter. Especially given the size of this gun. If it was shrunk in size to compete against guns the size of conventional .380's, I'd pay more attention to it.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife owns one and she allowed me to try it. Beautiful gun with excellent functioning and little recoil. I carry it in my coat pocket at times and the weight even with a 21 round magazine isn't unbearable. I can't really say anything bad about it!!

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Kind of looks like the old Mauser Broomhandle. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have fired a friends 5 Seven pistol and carbine. Both guns worked as advertised. I think the round would be great in a good bolt action varmint rifle or an accurate pistol like an Encore. Kind of a modern day .22 hornet.I don't really get the military application though seems way too light for that.

9. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

One of these turned up in a gang bangers hands in Chicago a few months ago and the police were very concerned about it!! They said that with the right ammo it makes their body armor obsolete! They referred to it in the news cast as a pocket assault rifle! ...I saw the Bass Pro had some for sale not too long ago...

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, except that the armor piercing ammunition is not being sold to the public. The ammo designed specifically to pierce kevlar vests is banned, and the other one that the Brady Bunch claimed would pierce vests (without proof) was voluntarily withheld from public sale. So the bottom line is this is just more anti-gun hype or lies, depending if the police making the claim are ignorant or knowledgable of the situation. Reminds me of the claims that Glocks would pass through airport metal detectors, even though they had more than enough metal in them to set off even the most primitive airport metal detector.

11. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

I thought guns were illegal in Chicago? If so there's noway a gang member could of had one is there? HMMM.

Outlaw guns and then only outlaws will have guns!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.