1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

FN 5.7 pistol blows up....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    FN 5.7 pistol blows up

While reloads had been used, the last magazine had factory loaded ammunition in it.

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Cartridge was not fully chambered for sure. If it was the last round I don't see how it could have been firing OOB, don't they have a firing pin block?

Reloading a 5.7 must be a PITA.

Wayne

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A round has to be chambered in order to receive enough heat to cause it to "cook off". It takes a lot of heat to cause it, and 70 rounds would not get you there.

For some reason the round was not in the chamber when it fired. I'd like to see whats in front of the remaining brass in the chamber.

M Guns that fire from the open bolt, suffer from this same mishap.....a piece of the brass will separate and the next round chambers behind the broken piece and boom.

Just what brand ammo was it, anyone know? Add junk ammo, or improper sized, or damaged cases to a firearm that can fire out of battery , and those pictures show the exact result.

If it were collected and evaluated, the last 30 rounds of brass may tell the tale of what was going on before that last shot.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have sold 6 or 8 FN 5.7 pistols and I think at this point you can still only actually get factory ammo. My co worker reloads his and it IS a difficult cartridge to reload. It is a strange little cartridge and a very strange sensation to shoot. Lots of muzzle flash, VERY loud, but almost no recoil or muzzle flip. Seems like people either love it or hate it.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

OOOWWWWWW

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The barrel looks intact, and is that what's left of the last round hanging out of the chamber? HMB

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

The point is..this design can and will fire out of battery.
    Now how the hell did that get by?
    Usually a hammer fired gun out of battery,hammer hits a ledge and doesnt touch the FP=nothing happens.
    This is striker fired- where is the striker disconnect?
    Or maybe the shell case web is smaller than what amount of open breech is needed to make the striker disconnect work.
    Or because its a delayed blowback,the powder/load has to have a precise pressure rise.Ive had some brands of 22lr HV blow the shell out of rimfire rifle and pistol that had standard velocity springs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.