1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying with your shotgun-Insurance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

    Frank C Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,863
    I recently went round and round with United airlines while flying with my Trapgun. I attempted to buy more insurance to cover the replacement cost should the gun get "lost". They were clueless, at first I was told it was only insured for $1100 bucks. I asked about additional insurance and they said it was not available, when I protested, they checked and found that it was available, but cost $11 for each hundred $ of extra coverage (seemed a little steep)eventually I was told that I had $2800 of baggage coverage, I got sick of arguing and accepted their word (but wrote the ticket counter attendants name down). So my gun and case are worth about $4k, what about if it were a 10K or 20K gun, what do others do? Gamble on the fact that it gets there? I fly a fair amount for business and my luggage gets lost (actually delayed) at least once a year.
    The other part that pissed me off is that they make you jump through hoops when you check it in, treat it like it is radioactive, but when you get to the arriving city, it just slides right out onto the carousel for ANYONE to walk away with!!??
     
  2. MXSHOOTER

    MXSHOOTER TS Member

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2006
    Messages:
    143
    I have a rider on my home owners that covers it for replacement cost, it a lot cheaper than buying insurance from an airline. the down side is I'm married to my agent so she knows how much I spend on guns.
     
  3. 3200

    3200 TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    167
    "The other part that pissed me off is that they make you jump through hoops when you check it in, treat it like it is radioactive, but when you get to the arriving city, it just slides right out onto the carousel for ANYONE to walk away with!!??"

    Ain't that the TRUTH! Flew to Houston from O'Hare a couple of weeks ago with my gun. Treated like I had the plaque checking in; gun case on the belt in Houston. As for insurance, I normally work added insurance thru my travel agent.
     
  4. shooter99

    shooter99 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    1,404
    Location:
    Blue River, Wisconsin
    I have the rider on my homeowners. It is for replacement cost. I fly with my gun alot and never a problem that you can't deal with. Beawre of what the TSA laws are and if it gets out hand, ask for a supervisor. This clears things quickly.

    CHEERS
     
  5. Frank C

    Frank C Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,863
    Colonel Klink, that you for your "incitful" info, where do you get your material from, Sgt Schultz?
     
  6. Etiquette

    Etiquette Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    113
    Anyone consider the NRA insurance program?
     
  7. Baber

    Baber TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,348
    Ok Guys here is the deal....

    First every airline has a set ammount they will pay on lost or dammaged luggage. Its typically $1500-$2000.

    There is a limit on liability of $5000 for lost luggage on every ariline. Its some law or deal they have. They can not by law pay more.

    Every airline offers "Excess Baggage Insurance" for the difference. Typically its $1 per $100 of value but remember its maxed at $5k no matter how much you pay.

    I buy the excess every time I fly and get hasseled by the airline every time. The check in clerks don't know how to do it so they don't want to do the research. The key here is be very polite but firm. You want it... they sell it... so lets do the paperwork. I believe that this insurance is the best way to avoid your gun growing legs.

    Depending on the airline and airport buying the extra insurance means they bring it to you or you have to physically go get it from their office about 75% of the time. The other 25% it comes down the belt.

    TB
     
  8. Bridger

    Bridger Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    712
    I've been sceptical about ever flying with my guns again after the airlines lost my fishing rod case. How do you "lose' a long tubular case with the owners name in two different places along with the baggage tag number. My guess someone is now on the Gulf of Mexico using my stuff. Airline says I have to wait 45 days to be reimbursed for the loss.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.