Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying with two guns

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  scott calhoun 
#1 ·
Flying to AZ. and taking two guns one will go in my america case whitch is for a combo but need to take my receiver and forearm for the other barrel.The question is can I pack the receiver and forearm im my checked luggage.
Thanks SES

#5 ·
Ronbo -

Next time you fly give that a try. If you've got internet access in whatever jail they take you to, let us know how it worked out!

I would also suspect that an airline might have a policy against gun parts (like a barrel or forearm) in carry-on, even though they might be allowed per the Federal regs. Remember that airlines can impose stricter rules.

Scott

#6 ·
If you go to the Homeland security office and register the guns with them and carry the two guns in a case that is locked, you should have no problem. We recently flew from Abilene, Tx to Dallas, then to Miami, then to Uruguay and back the same route and had no problems other than routine checking at customs
Don

#7 ·
I would consider getting a case that would fit two guns.
I was called back to the security desk once at the airport because after packing my guns in the gun case and locking it at the motel I threw my spare trigger in my suite case. They wanted all parts of a gun in the locked case.
All airports are as different as the affermative action employees.
I had a gun in a takedown soft case that was placed in a hard locked case. One agent tried to tell me the soft case had to be locked not the outer hard case.
I said so all you need is a knife instead of a hammer to open the case?
Another bright govt employee.

#8 ·
I agree with TBaber that if you have the receiver in one of your regular pieces of luggage you will have to lock it. I do not know how they will deal with that because generally they do not want your luggage locked so that they can search it if required.

I flew from Detroit to Phoenix in January with 2 guns in 2 different locked cases. When the security people examined the guns they told me that the small containers of hinge lube were flamable and had to be discarded. One was the partly full 3 oz bottle of Beretta Gun Oil that came with the 682 and the other was the 1/3 full 4 ox bottle of lube oil I bought from Paul at Warwick Gun Cases, the lube I really like. I didn't put up any fuss and just said "Well, I guess if you have to". I have snap caps in both cases and they didn't have any idea what they were for. I explained in a friendly and factual way what they were and why I used them. They said they would have to check with a supervisor and called one. After about 10 minutes she came over and I went over the explanation once again, also in a friendly and factual way. She decided they would be fine and told the inspector to go ahead and finish it up. He was putting things back in place in the gun cases, picked up the containers of lube, looked over at me and said "Oh, I guess they will be OK" and put them back in the cases.

It reinforced once again that you can often get better results with honey than with vinegar. As much as we think the airport security people can be a pain in the butt when we are travelling, they are just normal people doing a tough job for which they get a lot more grief and negative vibes from people than they ever do get thanks. I just tried to be agreeable and helpful and they seemed to respond.

#9 ·
Like was suggested get a case for two guns. The TSA wants gun cases locked and luggage unlocked. They don't want them mixed.Call them and you will find that this is correct.TSA at different airports do things differently but the rules say airline approvedhard case and it must be lockable and ONLY you have the key.

#11 ·
Surely you are kidding? Only criminals travel with guns. If you are caught you will be arrested, strip searched, and your guns will be confiscated. And people here will laugh and say that you deserved it for not knowing every law of every little podunk town in America. Are you a woman? I hear they really like to do strip searches if you are a woman. Just professional, of course!

I still remember when guns were legal,

Mark.

#12 ·
Ron -

Sorry, being a trapshooter I don't have the IQ of a skeet shooter (nor the wardrobe!).

I guess if by checked bag you meant a hard-sided suitcase that meets the requirements of the TSA for transporting a firearm the there wouldn't be a probelm with what you suggest. However, looking at most airline regulations (which appear to be no more restrictive than TSA rules) anyone traveling with any type of soft-sided luggage would not be allowed to do as you suggest.

Also, given the general aptitude of the airline agents and TSA agents I think it might be challenge getting a shotgun receiver in a hardsided suitcase cleared for checked baggage, even if it technically is within the rules.

I'll try harder next time.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.