1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying with shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ejg, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejg

ejg Member

Has any one flown out of Philly airport with a shotgun? If so what should I know before I fly? I have a good case. What type of locks should I use? TSA or other? How much extra time should I allow/

2. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

I've lived in the Philly area my whole life and I've never had a problem flying with my guns. The only thing I would add to what Gary said is if you're going abroad, make sure you get a Customs Form 4457 filled out and approved before you leave...otherwise you may be forced to pay duty on your gun when you return. Even if you're just going to Canada. I've only ever been asked to prove pre-trip ownership once and that was coming back from Canada.

J.F. Wolfington
    Wilmington, DE

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check with the AIRLINE - not all will allow you to carry a firearm. Many have specific guidelines (e.g., BA wants 72 hours prior notice).

You will need to present your firearms at check-in for inspection.

Most domestic flying will ask to verify that the guns are unloaded and ask you to sign a declaration to be inserted inside the case. If flying internationally they will ask if you have all permits for your arrival port as well.

Use good locks - NOT TSA LOCKS - if TSA wants to see inside they will request it of you just after check in (typically it takes about 15 minutes or less for them to scan the case). Give the counter agent your cell number and volunteer to stay in the check-in area until TSA is happy with the case. No one but you should have any access to the case - TSA included.

Are you carrying ammo??

Most airlines limit you to 5 Kg (11 pounds), but again, check their rules. They are very particular as to how ammo is packed - with no 'wiggle room' if you do not do it their way.

4. ejg

ejg Member

Thanks to all who responded. Info was very helpful.

5. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

where do you pack the shells?

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Domestically shells MAY be packed with the firearm (some airlines frown on this) - otherwise it can go in regular checked bags.

Needs to be in ORIGINAL boxes, or containers specifically designed to hold ammo. No loose ammo or ammo dumped in a pouch.

Some international destinations will ask that the ammo also be in a locked container - separate from the firearm.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Flying with firearms...

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmsflying.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

flying with shotgun