1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying with my shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by G-12, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-12

G-12 TS Member

I'm fying South West Airlines. I have an old John Hall case to
    house the gun. The case has one combination lock. Someone told me the lock needs to be TSA approved. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Ben

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your John Hall case is legal per TSA. They require a hard case that is lockable.
    On the other hand, they weren't all that durable, and if you are going to fly a a lot, you should consider an Americase or Colorado Cases, or one of the oother heavy duty cases.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

TSA approved locks CANNOT be used to secure a firearm, as your the only one who can have the key or combo.

I contacted the agency a while back and confirmed...

I have this posted on the subject.

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmsflying.htm

4. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Check out Southwest Airlines website for their policy.

I would stick it in a duffel bag and some clothing around it to protect it. Just make sure that you do not go over 50 pounds. You need to declare to the ticket agent that you have an unloaded firearm, they will give you a tag or form to sign. The tag/form needs to be place with the gun, so leave the case unlocked and lock it after putting the form in the case.

I would not leave any snap caps in the chambers, not illegal but they could cause a more through inspection.

Jason

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Ben, I have a John Hall case and it is a great cse to go back and forth to the club as well as travel to a shoot in the car. I would not recommend it for airline travel as I do not think it would take the abuse that is possible with baggage handling. As others recommended, I would purchase another case from Cabellas, Warwick, Colorado etc.

Have a good trip

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Aluminum case should be YOUR minimum.....my Warwick case is dented and banged up from just 4-5 trips, if it was anything short of this metal case......??

I always wrap a couple wraps of Duct Tape around in case they mangle the locks, the tape is usually trashed afterwards, you can see how badly they handle it by looking at the scrapes and cuts/condition of the tape afterwards. Frank

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Another shot......what you cannot see in the pics is the overall beat up condition of this relatively new case...

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Talk to a fellow shooter and see of anyone can lend you a flight case for your trip, unless you plan to fly with a shotgun often enough to make a purchase worthwhile...

I use a "Pelican" Browning Travel Vault, takedown case w/wheels. It has served me well on a half-dozen trips and while it does get scuffed, it wasn't as pretty as the others to start with, so it seems to get better looking with use! (lol)

... now what can you say that about?!

regards to all,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.