1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying with gun to Tucson

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I leave Tuesday for Tucson on United out of O'Hare. Should I FEDEX the gun or check baggage with United? Thanks for your recommendations.

Jim

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

First make sure you have a good lockable gun case. It should have. Lock that provides you with the only key. Not TSA locks. Go on the TSA website and download the rules.

Buy the extra baggage insurance. It's a maximum of $500. Won't cover the cost of the gun but will put the airline on notice that they will pay if it goes missing.

When you get to the airport check in ove the counter and declaring you have a firearm. Follow all the paperwork and you shoul not have a problem.

Tom

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Jim -- I fly with my guns and learned for peace of mind to increase my homeowners insurence on my guns. For me Farmers standard amount was $1200. I increased it to $10000. When I last flew (Nov) southwest covers $3200 per bag and you can buy $100 for $1 up to $1000 of extra coverage. Joe

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have flown with mine. You have to declare and leave the case unlocked when you check in your baggage. As for insuranse, I just took out the ATA advertised insurance this year and for my guns I pay around $400/year on their replacement value. Go to the ATA Website.

blade819

5. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

If you are a NSCA member you can insure your guns with Sportsmans insurance company. I have mine insured for 20,000.00 it cost 250.00 per year. If you fly with South West airlines your guns counts as your second free bag. Be sure to declare your gun at check in.

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

If you have any problems with TSA on check in call for a Superivisor. Remember you are dealing with low wage people with some authority.

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I like the americase web site http://www.americase.com/tech-support/index.htm
    Click on the airline rules and you can get all the info you need by airline. I like to print it out so I have it should there be any questions while at the airport. I have never had a problem however. Joe

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pelican Case....guaranteed against everything except a shark attack. Even the knuckle dragging TSA and baggage handlers can't damage these.

9. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

I'll be flying out of O'Hare in May with my gun. Everyone that I've talked to said they never had any problems flying out of O'Hare or Midway with their guns. I got a Pelican 1700 case that I plan to use when I fly so I have no worries.

10. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Flown out of Ohare many times with guns to Canada. No prob, they know the drill.

See you in Tucson (although this trip I am flying out of Milwaukee)

Chip

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> I have flown with mine. You have to declare and leave the case unlocked when you check in your baggage.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CASE UNLOCKED.

From the TSA website:

Travelers must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.

The firearm must be unloaded.

The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.

If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.

TSA must resolve all alarms of checked luggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.

If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
    Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.

Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.

TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.

12. eew

eew Member

The biggest issue with flying to Tucson is leaving Tucson. Most airlines, after you declare the gun is a breeze, however every time I check gun at Tucson (Southwest), the agent calls TSA in the back after she places it on the conveyer belt and tells them a gun is coming. You are then told to wait for ten minutes to see if TSA needs to get in it ( which they always do in Tucson). Then in about ten minutes TSA calls the agent and asks for key or combo so they can get in the case.....one time they agent told me to go ahead since TSA hadn't called out front, they came and found me in the gate area for my combo. No other airport insists on getting in the case every time.

All in all, even this is only a minor nuisance. It really is a breeze to fly with a firearm.

13. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

It all depends what air port for sure. I come in on us air you sighn a card stating the gun is unloaded then lock it up, if tsa does not want in, you get your gun at the office when you get there, just arrived in tucson tonight, have been coming for the last five years spring and fall never any problem. Thanks Stan

14. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Lot of people are their own worse enemy when taking guns on commercial flights.
    Declare you have firearm, fill out the card, lock it up and shut up.

15. kolar12

kolar12 Member

In Tucson, they do not have the baggage scanners upstairs where you check in. There is no room for them. They had to put them down stairs. That is why there is a delay. I did not have to open my gun cases for them after they left the ticketing area.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Just get there earlier.

Are Pelicans all approved for airline flight now as far as the locking system goes?

On the other end- make sure you hurry to the gate because frankly anyone can pick up your gun case and walk out.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pelican cases have a "hole" designed on each of the clasps where a small padlock can be inserted. TSA approved mine at Atlanta and Phoenix...no problem.

18. Slewcity

Slewcity Member

I just returned from tucson open flew on united and a very easy trip
    Have TWO TSA locks not a big deal schedule an extra 15 min.

19. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

TSA locks are not to be used on gun cases.

Regulations require that only the owner of the firearm have the keys to the locks.

TSA locks do not meet this requirement.

20. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

So does the factory Beretta case meet the requirements?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.