1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying with ammo??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Can you still fly with shotgun ammo in your checked luggage?? If so, how much?? Thanks

2. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

It won't be worth the extra baggage fees to bring ammo. Buy it when you get where you are going.

Hit 'em hard,

John

3. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Last time I flew I was limited to 11 pounds and it had to be in the original, factory boxes.

Steve Nunley
    Albuquerque, NM

4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Cost TOO much To Take It With You!!!!!!!!!!! joe90t

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I flew to FL and just bought my ammo. You want to deal with the TSA as little as you have to. You don't know if the one you are talking to is a NRA member or a anti gun person. On my trip I had to deal with both. You know whitch one I got along with.

6. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Yep, I just REALLY like my 1 1/8 oz. Downrange Versalight, that I load for HCP, rather anything I can buy. Green Dot, and Downrange, would maybe, give me a shot. A 100 in HCP, that's 4 boxes to place in luggage. I will purchase them, and I thank you for your advise, you are right. I do not fly much, at all, but know the TSA's Can be TSA....holes. Thanks folks Come on spring, and hope this finds you well. If you happen to attend, I'd love to visit with ya, I'll be the guy with a HUSKER vest.....sorry. Jim

7. cafowler

cafowler Member

Jim,

It's really no big deal. I'll often put a flat of 1 oz loads in my checked bag when I fly to a shoot. The big bag scanner machine will always detect the ammo, so I just tell them I have ammo in the bag and point it out. They'll want to open it and verify it is in the "original factory package", no big deal. They want it to be packed in the cardboard box same way it ships from the factory.

I didn't know the rule years ago flying home from DC. The TSA agent was really nice, good old guy. I had a bunch of extra shells loose in my duck bag from hunting out on the Eastern Shore. He just stacked them all as high as he could on top of the open box and wrapped them up with official TSA tape. He said, "there, now it's in the original factory box", but the box now had about 40 shells all wrapped up in tape.

I would pack up your shells in the box, then back into a flat box, and pack it in a checked bag, and don't worry about it. You'll have to take your gun case & bags over to the big scanner machine anyway, just takes an extra minute or so while they check it out.

Good luck at your shoot, hope you win that Handicap event with your own reloads.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Buy your ammo at the club or have someone take your ammo for you that is driving.

Save your empties and put thyem in a target box and ship them UPS home from the club, or sell them at the club.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. buster45

buster45 Active Member

For big shoots I just have them shipped to the gun club no hassle?

Buster

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Mail or ship the ammo to yourself at the range your going to if you have to have your reloading ammo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.