1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Flying Private planes to trapshoots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aggie., Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

Do many shooters fly their own private planes to shoots? I know several former airline pilots that shoot, and I don't think any of them ever fly a small plane to a shoot. It would seem to me to really be the way to go if you can afford it.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Usually no large airports near by. Have you ever tried to rent a car at a small grass strip runway airport?

ss

3. warren

warren Member

As usual transportation to and from airports is always a big problem especially with firearms.

warren

4. kypilot

kypilot TS Member

I noticed this year that there were several airports listed nearby for the Missouri shoot this fall. I plan on flying to it next year.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Tried it (brother-in-law owns a twin engine Cessna). It was logistical nightmare.

Far less aggravation to just drive with all the necessary items.

Curt

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Many clubs, think about it, are on, in or on property related to airports and garbage dumps. Depending on the distance, it can make lots of sense to fly. I have a friend that will fly from Orygun to Nevada, Washington, Idaho as well as quite rural places closer in a single prop Cessna. He usually has someone at the shoot aware that he needs a ride by buzzing the clubhouse but has rented cars in places where he's not known. May be expensive and perhaps some inconvenience at long shoots but one heck of a lot less traveling long distances......Bob Dodd

7. kypilot

kypilot TS Member

If you don't mind me asking what was the logistical nightmare? Transportation? Airport?

8. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

Well, my son is taking flying lessons and I kinda thought about getting a pilots license, but I didn't know if it would be practical. But for a one day shoot here in Texas, you might have to drive 3 or 4 hrs. I would be nice to cut that down to an hour or so, and be home early.

9. DocJim

DocJim Member

Unless you live in one of those "sunshine" states don't even consider it without an instrument rating (which will cost you a lot more in time and money). There are just too many instances of not being able to get in or out of an airport without one. It is not unusual to get "weathered in" even with an instrument rating when flying a light plane. If you must fly be prepared to spend a day or two more than you had anticipated or rent a car to drive back home. There's an old adage, "if you have lots of time, fly." Opinions supported by 35 years in general aviation in the northeast...............AJ

10. kypilot

kypilot TS Member

I would agree with Doc. If you plan on using it as a normal method and for it to be somewhat reliable you will need your instrument rating. Flying is a lot like trap shooting, it isn't practical but a whole lot of fun. I fly to most of my destinations because I love to fly.

11. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

Danny,

Get one big enough for me and Pat to ride in also. If you would get a helicopter I will work on it for you here in Lewisville of course.

Ben

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I seriously thought about it a few years ago. Two commercial pilots (Ken Duncan former ATA President and John Hiter ATA President next year) talked me out of the idea. They knew that when the shoot was over I would fly home to get back to work and I would not be stopped by such things as thunder storms and fog. Both estimated that I would crash within two years. I gave up the idea.

Pat Ireland

13. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

I would agree with kypilot... those who fly private airplanes do so because they love to fly, not for "practical" reasons. I flew all over the country for 5 yrs, (without an instrument rating)....only got stuck for an extra day a couple of times.
    Also, never had a problem with getting a rental car, or transporting the guns.
    The problem is supporting two expensive habits, flying and trapshooting!
    I had to let the plane go..... :-(
    Walt

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I fly a Cessna 170 and use it to fly to any trapshoot that's more than a couple hours drive from home (that includes most of 'em up here in remote eastern Montana).

Ground transportation when you get to the airport can be a problem altho' usually either the FBO will have a courtesy car you can use for the day or there's rental cars available or if you're lucky like in the case of Lewistown, Montana, the trap club's just across the road from the airport. Each place is different in that regard so plan ahead.

I'm instrument rated and current so a little weather doesn't bother me. OTOH you gotta' know your limits, get-there'itis and get-home'itis are two potentially fatal afflictions. You have to be able to put on your pilot hat and base your flight decisions sole'ly on flight related factors. If that means grabbing a motel room and having a relaxed steak dinner and going home next morning, I can live with that. I've never been to a town so bad it was worth dying to get out of.......

John C. Saubak

15. TEXASBEN

TEXASBEN Member

Old COwboy check your PM's

Ben D

16. JGS

JGS Member

I recently sold my Mooney aircraft and I couldn't miss it more. I flew it all over the country to trapshoots, and in my opinion and experience, no other form of transportation comes close. I live in Ohio, and my Mooney put all of the states east of the Mississippi river in easy flying distance for weekend shoots. It also allowed me to go to state shoots for just three or four days and not eat up time getting there. I'd never consider flying commercially to a large shoot to just shoot for the weekend, but in my own aircraft, it was easy and made sense. One July I flew to the Kentucky State Shoot,shot the events I was interested in, left there, and flew over to the Virginia State shoot. That wouldn't be feasible using any other form of transportation. Also, if you take two guns with you to shoots, just throwing them in the back and taking off sure beats lugging two gun cases or one really heavy case from the parking lot to the ticket counter. At most airports, you can drive up to your airplane, load or unload the car, and off you go. There are usually small airports close to most clubs, and these airports are often much closer than the larger airports that have commercial airline service. When there wasn't a small general aviation airport close by, I'd just fly myself into the nearest commercial airport. Rental cars usually aren't a problem these days as Enerprise Rental Car can deliver cars to most smaller airports that don't have a car rental agency on site. One of the great things about the Grand being at Sparta is there is an airport on the outskirts of town and a car rental agency right across the street. And the airport is about five minutes to the range. Of course, at Vandalia, the shooting grounds were on the airport. We have a great network of general aviation airpors in this country that make private aircraft travel incredibly convenient. The hassel of driving to a commercial airport, parking a long way from the terminal, going through the hassel of security and taking the time to fuss with the TSA procedures for your guns, and then waiting for the airplane to show up, makes private flying a much better way to get someplace. Regarding weather, I've been flying for 42 years, I've owned 6 aircraft, and the number of times in those 42 years I couldn't get to where I wanted to go, when I needed to get there, have been few and far between. And I fly about 100 days a year on business and pleasure. You do need an instrument rating, but that's no big deal, and with the equipment available for light aircraft today like GPS, de-icing gear and thunderstorm detecting equipment, weather has become much less of a factor. We are so lucky that we have the freedom to fly where and when we want in this country. I've flown my aircraft all over the world, and in most other countries, the cost of flying and government restrictions make private aircraft much less useful. I do fly because I love it, but it also eminently practical. Best regards, J.G.Sayle

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

JGS.... Why did you sell the bird? Are you going to buy another one?

TB

18. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

We used to fly to the Grand - it was great. They drove us to the shoot and picked us up at the end of the day for a small tip ($40). Loved it!

The folks at the Sparta airport also indicated that they would be willing to do this, and were very excited to have people fly down. Also fly to other shoots currently, although time and money are an issue.

19. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Mr. Sayles also flew to a Phil Kiner Clinic years ago at the Buckhorn GC near Mebane NC.

From Left 2 Right:

Bill Young (RIP) - Dan Johnson (PA) - FRedmon (NC) - Tom Shelley (Boone) - Jim Bray (NC) - Phil Kiner (WY) - Morgan Shaw (Boone) - John Sayles (OH).

FRedmon

20. KenC

KenC Member

A couple years ago, Jack Sprague flew his plane from Delta, CO, back to The Grand(Ohio). He shot a 200 in the championship singles!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

allan futrell trapshooter