1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

flying Delta

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grl, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grl

grl Member

Next time you think about flying Delta, remember this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_borufk9RTc&sns=fb

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/_borufk9RTc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/_borufk9RTc?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

This is like the bar codes is stores. If the people pay we made money.

I just hope this greedy attitued bites Delta in the A$$. They knew it was wrong but they did it.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Delta sucks. It is by far the worst air line that I have ever flown. Their "Delta Connection" is a complete disaster that will leave you without your luggage Guaranteed!

5. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Five of us flew from Washington, DC (2), Baltimore, Atlanta and Philadelphia to Rapid City ,SD via Delta for Spring Turkey hunting last month. Our experiences with Delta, including TSA, and firearms shipment were the very best.

Want first class service, fly Delta!

6. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Just a day late:.........Grubby

A Delta spokeswoman who only identifies herself on a company blog as Rachel R., further wrote:

“In the case of today’s situation, we would like to publicly apologize to those service men and women for any miscommunication regarding our current policies as well as any inconvenience we may have caused. We are currently looking further into the situation, and will be reaching out to each of them personally to address their concerns and work to correct any issues they have faced.”

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Three weeks ago, we flew Delta with firearms. It went as smoothly as any in my experience. While at our destination, my wife developed severe leg pain and had to buy a cane to get around. When we checked in for the return trip on Delta, at the gate when our boarding passes were scanned, there was beep rejecting our boarding passes. The agent had two new passes waiting for us on the desk because they saw my wife's predicament and moved us much closer to the front of the plane so she would have a shorter walk. We had not requested this. They did it withour request or even our knowledge, but it was very much appreciated. And this flight was completely full. Far above the level of service we have experienced on any airline before.

Thank you Delta!

Bob

8. metal1

metal1 TS Member

i fly delta all the time for work from west coast to east and all in between and have never had an problem ,when an issue did come up they went way out of there way to help me out ,beyond what i thoughht was nessesary,my next trip will be with my trap guns ,delta sounds easy i`m just worried about tsa .jeff

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Delta is the only airline that has a non-stop from Johannesburg to the USA. I'll pay an extra $300 for that.

10. porky

porky TS Member

It seems that the politico's have gotten everyone to remove their video's. I guess they could be threatened with a lawsuit even if it is public knowledge.

11. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Delta seems to have lost sight of the fact that without the sacrifices of these young men, they would not be in business....

I am amazed at the stupidity of civilians who frame this as a "fairness" issue by saying the military should be treated the same as civilians....

Young men and women who risk their lives for the rest of us should have PRIVILEGES...THAT is what is fair.....

I am appalled by the number of ungrateful, pampered, self-absorbed civilian MORONS!

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter how Delta treats a few of you. If they want to charge our troops RETURNING home from deployment then BOYCOTT the hell out of them!!!!!!

What a way to show some respect for our troops. What next, spit on them as they board like in the 60's and 70's?

13. metal1

metal1 TS Member

looks like delta changed there policy on returning troops

14. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Nobody is questioning why, according to the video, that Delta ALREADY had this policy in place, and some ignorant Delta personnel didn't realize it. Were the soldiers wrong, about the current policy, and why did it take a viral video to get them to honor up to what they should have been doing all along !!!

15. Ted

Ted TS Member

EXCELLENT LETTER.....CF)

The following is a letter that active ATL FA Susan I. Powell sent to the Atlanta Journal and Constitution and Channel 11 News here in Atlanta. It is her response to Channel 11's reporting of the bag fees for military personnel that was recently in the news.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: June 9, 2011 2:49:12

Subject: My letter to Channel 11 and AJC

June 8, 2011

As a Delta Air Lines employee, I am offended (but not surprised) by the tendency of the news media in Atlanta to immediately go for the jugular when presented with the slightest opportunity to paint Delta in a negative light. I deeply resent the editorial I saw on Channel 11 by Brenda Wood when she accused Delta of being greedy and gouging soldiers to fill our coffers. Even Ms. Wood's own colleague at Channel 11, Bill Liss, conceded in his earlier report on the same day that Delta was merely following baggage fee guidelines stipulated in its contract with the military ... guidelines dictated by the military, not by Delta. Mr. Liss further conceded that Delta's contract with the military already allowed for additional fee-free bags for soldiers, above and beyond what regular customers enjoy. Subsequent reports on Channel 11 and other stations confirmed that the military also reimburses soldiers for any travel fees, including bag fees, incurred by them personally in transit.

So, when two individual soldiers took issue with having to incur the charge first and be reimbursed by the military later and chose to post their frustrations on YouTube, the Delta bashing in the Atlanta news media was immediate, especially at Channel 11. Thankfully, I know the management of my company far better than Ms. Wood does. I had every confidence that as soon our CEO Richard Anderson was aware the policy negotiated with Delta by the government presented a problem for even one soldier, my company would immediately make additional allowances for soldiers and even their entire families, above the allowances dictated by the military contract, even if it impacted Delta’s profitability. My company did make those adjustments – in less than 24 hours! Of course, Delta's competitors have predictably seized the opportunity to jump on the bandwagon and announce they will also amend their own policies to match Delta's generosity, but I don't recall hearing Ms. Wood mention the other carriers who imposed the same baggage policies as Delta for traveling servicemen and women – it was just Delta she called "greedy."

Fuel prices are off the charts again this year. The traveling public sometimes forgets it takes just as much fuel to transport bags as the customers in the seats ... so it is an increasing expense Delta has to compensate for in some way. I have no input in Delta's corporate policies about baggage fees, but my impact as a crewmember is my own.

Many of Delta's pilots and other employees are military and my crews always go to great lengths to recognize and accommodate every single solider we have the privilege of meeting. In my 32 years at Delta, I have flown with many pilots who give me their own personal credit card and ask me to purchase food for any soldiers on the flight – I have purchased food for many of them with my own money. Open First Class seats are rare these days with the complimentary upgrades enjoyed by our SkyMiles members, but our gate agents always put soldiers in available First Class seats, without hesitation. After 9/11, many of Delta's First Class customers fell all over themselves to offer their First Class seats to soldiers, but complacency has set in over the last 10 years and I find few customers who even acknowledge soldiers on board. I personally always recognize soldiers in the concourse and especially on board, so I take great offense to media persons outside Delta unfairly characterizing Delta as insensitive and assuming my company's adherence to a policy dictated in our military contract – a policy apparently in effect at Delta's competitors as well – can be interpreted as a failure to recognize, appreciate and value our nation's heroes.

Susan Powell

Delta Air Lines

Buford, GA

16. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I have been a frequent military traveler for the past 5 years, both in and out of uniform. I definitely have preferred airlines to fly. However, I have never had anything but the best service any flight crew or ticket/gate representative could offer.

The bottom line is that if a soldier is flying on orders the military contract is for two bags to be paid for. If needed soldiers can request more when they submit their request for orders or their voucher. When the soldier submits their voucher for reimbursement of travel expenses they can claim any extra costs. I was accidentally charged at a Kiosk for a bag and had to request reimbursement in just such a case.

Soldiers who have not traveled much may not understand the system well and not realize they can be reimbursed for such an expense. Also, ticket/gate personnel who are new may not be aware of the ticket contracts with Uncle Sam. And last, airlines change policies. It is too bad if this story was a result of negligence on anyone's part.

I recently flew Delta in uniform and was asked for orders. This was a change from the last time I flew Delta a year ago and most other airlines policies. It was the first time in 2 years I forgot to print orders because I had not been asked for them by any airline for that long. A manager stepped in and told her to take the bag anyway since I was in uniform. Since the entire travel process except for boarding passes is paperless it caught me by surprise. And the stewardess or flight crew on that flight bought my breakfast over my objection that morning!!!

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have flown Delta a lot and have personally seen the airline give our returning service personnel first class service. Chichay

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If some of the big mouths would have paid attention it was reported early on that these fees are normally reimburse by the DOD. A big blow over a non issue.

Don

19. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Everybody sure seems to be down on Delta for complying with their contract with the government. If the government wanted 4 bags in the contract, they could have put it in. Since the government will reimburse the soldiers I don't see why they complained. A big hullabalu about nothing.

20. porky

porky TS Member

John, Have you ever tried to get money from the gov't when you submit paperwork. My experiences have not been good. A lot of those reimbursements seem to fall by the wayside, or at least when I was in the service back in the mid sixties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

susan irene powell delta airlines